Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Madgar

Re: Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Post by Madgar »

Hey Riggs, any updates? Interesting little skiff. Looks like it will be nice

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Yeah buddy, just finished the filets and fiberglass on the interior frames this afternoon. Next I will put down floor cleats and flip to then work on the hull exterior. The plans for this build basically call for two flips which is weird but it’s cool, gives me time to find a trailer. I’ll post some pictures soon, but it’s in an ugly phase so I was waiting until it looked like something I was more proud of.

I picked up some epoxy and foam and other stuff from the BBC warehouse last week when I was in a Florida, Jeff is a very good dude. The FS14 that’s there is absolutely flawless, unfortunately my wife now thinks that is what my boat should look like when done.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

RiggsWNC wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:30 pm FS14 that’s there is absolutely flawless, unfortunately my wife now thinks that is what my boat should look like when done.
If you mean seaslugs fs14ls then i agree: I have stopped showing people photos of that boat as an example of what my finished boat will look like, it sets very unrealistic expectations.

Amazing progress so far, keep up the great work!

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

2677B5E8-C704-4409-AEE9-D412CCB41142.jpeg
F052CF8E-4AA8-4E8A-9FEC-870BA9B90E19.jpeg
First time I’ve messed with fiberglass. It’s kind of fun.

One filet area I made with EZ-Filet is either taking a long time to fully cure in the cold temperatures or I mixed it wrong. It’s slightly gummy, you can’t pull it off but you can penetrate it with a sharp object. It’s not a big section, and it’s already fiberglassed over, so if I have to remove it I’m gonna curse a lot. I’m going to give it another day or two and see what happens and make my decision off of that. Update: it has cured almost completely now. I’m not sure why just this one batch took longer to cure. But I’m going to move forward from it.

Im still deciding whether I want to put a small elevated side console in or tiller steer. Ultimately, I’d be happier with a side console because it’s what I’m used to. But, on a small boat I’m afraid that once it’s all rigged and in the water, I’m going to find my console location causes weight problems. I could also get on the water faster and less expensive with a tiller steer. Guess I’ll just have to build one of jacques’ bigger boats to get my console.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

As long as your mixing ratios were any where close to correct things will cure. Cold weather really slows the cure but it will happen.
It is never a bad thing to build another boat :D BBV is a bad thing :lol: