Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by Jeff »

The weather in the Southeast has been crazy the whole month of December!!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I put another coat of primer on this morning. I used a foam roller and then tipped with a soft synthetic brush. This is what directions say. I'm wondering if it will help with the orange peel. Probably will have streaks now. I almost want to put 5 coats on and then sand so I dont sand through before sanding below orange peel or streaks. I guess I'll see what it looks like in a little while. It looks thin. I dont know if one coat is going to do it. I put three on originally and most of it was sanded off.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The three coat method worked for me, but I have climate controlled...sort of

Too dry here and if I heat my building up; I can't tack off.

Looks like you need to send me some humidity and I you some arid stuff.

I just have to tack off at 55%RH and then I can warm up my building.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

After the primer has been sanded, is a thin film of primer enough? When its sanded, does it need to be one solid color of primer grey? I would think as long as it has any thickness of primer, it should be okay to paint. ???
Attachments
1577756127311521543472928004062.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm After the primer has been sanded, is a thin film of primer enough? When its sanded, does it need to be one solid color of primer grey? I would think as long as it has any thickness of primer, it should be okay to paint. ???
Might show through, but paint it!

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Is it ok to wash the boat with a drop of dawn before I put the topcoat on. Of course I'll still wipe it down with solvent wash and then tack it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

soap and water wash is common after all the sanding fairing

I did it on mine.

Rinse well.

Alcohol or solvent wash.

Tack final after swamping floor with water.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

After rolling the primer on with foam roller and tipping with a soft synthetic brush, I have been able to sand the primer easily with no orange peel. The temperature was 65 F and the humidity was 65% to 70%. I had to fill some pin holes, but they have been spot prime and sanded. Everything is sanded to 320 and is ready for the topcoat. Min temp for Alexseal is 60 F. My garage will be around 60 F to 65 F. Humidity should be around 50% to 70% for the next few days. Only problem is I want have my rollers until Monday. Weather sucks after Monday. I'm a little concerned with ventilation. I can't open the garage doors all the way, because it will be below 60 F. How does everyone safely paint in a garage?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am After rolling the primer on with foam roller and tipping with a soft synthetic brush, I have been able to sand the primer easily with no orange peel. The temperature was 65 F and the humidity was 65% to 70%. I had to fill some pin holes, but they have been spot prime and sanded. Everything is sanded to 320 and is ready for the topcoat. Min temp for Alexseal is 60 F. My garage will be around 60 F to 65 F. Humidity should be around 50% to 70% for the next few days. Only problem is I want have my rollers until Monday. Weather sucks after Monday. I'm a little concerned with ventilation. I can't open the garage doors all the way, because it will be below 60 F. How does everyone safely paint in a garage?
You must wear an organize vapor mask.

My eyes bother me a bit, so I probably could use a full face respirator.

Avoid breathing the 2 part paints; they are highly toxic.

I even wear my respirator mixing now.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Most parts of boat building do not bother me much but the two part paints are another story :help: Even with a full face respirator and good organic filters I have to be able to open the shop door. So using two part paint is a summer deal only for me.