Quick fair issues

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Quick fair issues

Post by Cbuf »

Does anybody else have issue with quick fair? I just can't get it to lay right. It is so stringy, and seems to take several passes. It wants to stick to everything except fiberglass, epoxy, or wood. My plastic towel, my fingers, my metal towel however I can never get it off of when I'm spreading it. I find I have to spread it with my hands and use my fingers to smooth it. I just did 2 passes on the floor and I think I'm worse off from when I started. If I wasn't almost out of epoxy I would have used the red BBC blend fairing and I used the last of my Mas Epoxy fairing on the console. After having a miserable experience with the the hull and hating every minute, I sore off the stuff. However I still has a 1/2 quart left, so I figured I would try it again. Well that is the last time. Am I the only one?

Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Quick fair issues

Post by joe2700 »

I have not had that experience, I find it incredibly easy to use, easier than self mixed. I would think either bad mix, bad surface, or bad batch.

Bad mix is easy to test by trying again very carefully. I'd suggest trying by weight if you have a small scale, just to change methods.

Bad surface, the surface should be sanded(not shiny). If you aren't using a blush free epoxy the surface should be cleaned with soap and water before sanding. Then wipe with something like denatured alcohol for dust before applying the quick fair. I have noticed that using quick fair on a dusty surface doesn't work well.

If you are careful about all the above and still have an issue it's time to worry about a bad batch.

Sorry if you already know all that, but it can help to go through the possible problems methodically.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

You are the only one.

First, it sounds like you are trying to fair over dirty surface. I could be wrong.

Second, you need to mix it on a board with a trowel until it is very homogenous.

Third, you apply it with a 3" or wider metal trowel. Put the trowel on a 45 degree angle.

I really, really like the stuff. It feathers to zero, it sticks really well. Works much better than my homemade stuff which pinholes badly.

QF doesn't pinhole.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am with Fallguy on this one. Quickfair has been one of easiest things I have used. I am pretty sloppy with my measuring and still never had a problem. I will take three plastic spoons, dip one in the hardener and then by eye dip the same size with the other spoons in the resin. Either my eye is really good or the stuff is pretty forgiving.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I'm going to chalk it up to a bad batch. I have used total fair on a past boat projects with no issues. I have used the mas stuff without issue. I was using a 6 inch metal towel for the long passes, and a 3 inch plastic around the corners. I had done a quick pass with an orbital sanded with 60 grit just to knock down the points (with vac attached). Then I shop vac'd the entire interior. Generally if it looks dust I will hit it with 70% alcohol, but it didnt look dusty so I didnt this time. I think my part b was off. There is/ was a yellow oil that I had to keep stirring back into white part. Attached is a picture. You can kind of see it in the middle of the tub. Is that my issue?
Attachments
15781922487905313968376461985162.jpg
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Seems to me like your quickfair looks pretty normal. This is what mine looks like and it is working just fine.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

I have only found it difficult if I make too large of batches, it became a pain to spread even but keep my batches to 3 oz. Now and haven't had that happen again.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It does separate. You have to stir it back up.

Make sure to use two separate spoons. If you get any B in A or A in B in the bucket; it would harden and chunk up.

And if you uncover part B; it dries up fast and skins over and the skin gets gritty and not fun to work with.

And 3 oz is my max batch size.

Never try to go thicker than 1/8".

Hope this helps. Sorry if I sound patronizing. Best of luck.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

My experience is similar to the others that have chimed in.

The only issues I have had with QuickFair was when I mixed up too large a batch or overworked it.

It sets up quickly and will kick if not spread soon after mixing especially if the ambient temperature is on the warm side. This is when it gets stringy and hard to spread.

The fact that it sets up quickly is by design as it allows for sanding in only a few hours and multiple coats applied in one day which is a real advantage for commercial boat shops.

I have found that a little bit goes a long way. Small batches are preferred. Most of the time multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat.

For larger gaps or depressions I generally use EZFillet first then QuickFair after curing and sanding of the EZFIllet.

I haven’t always had the best luck when using products from different manufacturers together. They are not always compatible. My best results have come when I stick with one Company’s products for the whole build.

Sorry to hear of your challenges.

Best wishes for success on the rest of your project.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

The only issue I ever had was a kit which contained two part A...don’t know how that could have been missed at the factory :doh: .

That said, QF is one friendly product to use as mentioned by other builders. If any problems it is usually prepping or mixing related.

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.