Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

Is this a fisheye? If so, how do I fix them?
Attachments
20200105_181354.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The red spot looks like a contaminant. If you are doing multiple coats; I would sand it out with 220. Then use denatured alcohol and see if you can remove it. If you used a red marker on the hull, then see if it will cover on another coat if you plan one; especially don't sand it if it is only a see through and not a divot.

It is hard for me to see the pic well...fyi.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

It's a divot. That was actually a spot where I sanded through the primer and didn't spot prime. Has to be a contaminant. I'll wipe it, sand it and paint over it. I've got two more coats anyway.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:12 pm It's a divot. That was actually a spot where I sanded through the primer and didn't spot prime. Has to be a contaminant. I'll wipe it, sand it and paint over it. I've got two more coats anyway.
Up to you...a big divot you can sand with 180 and reprime and topcoat back if you want.

But for bottom, I would just 320 sand or 220/320 if you can't get the 320 to cut it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Again, really well done!!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Not going to lie. This hurts my feelings a little. Sanding the mirror. Thankfully, this is the easiest sanding I've done yet on this build.
Attachments
20200106_212518.jpg

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Ready for another coat.
Attachments
20200106_222844.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FD - do you have a recoat window with that topcoat?

Perhaps it would have been better to two coat and then sand. Just throwing it out there.

I did two coat mine in the window. Of course, I am having a heluva time keeping my paint thin enough to tip, so what do I know.

What grit did you fall back to?

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I thought about two coats and then sanding, but I had to get the containment out that caused some fisheyes. I sanded with 320 and it sanded like butter. I used my festool 150 only on the flat spots and sanded by hand the rest. It took me 45 minutes. I have a 4 day window according to the directions to recoat after sanding since the boat is in my garage. If the boat was outside, the window would be 24 hours. I'm not sure why that is. I didn't tip mine at all. I rolled it on with a foam roller and let it sit. I did lightly back roll. At first it looked terrible. Within 15 minutes, it flattened out. I think I have a dust problem. I didn't wet the floor which I think I'll do this time. I'm also still getting some kind of fibers in the paint from maybe the wipes. The wipes are suppose to be lent free, but its coming from somewhere and that is the only thing I can think of. Worse case, if the last coat has some fibers and dust, I can wet sand and buff it. I actually have a extra quart of that color, so I may put on a total of 4 coats. Still would have some left for touch ups later on. I want it pretty thick so I could wet sand and buff if want.

I may thin the paint a little less this time or try to go a little thinner on the application. My ratio was 2:1:1. It started to run on me on the verticals. Thankfully I noticed it quick enough. I took the roller and pushed as much paint as I could out of it and rolled it back over the runs and it smoothed it out. Started to get a little nervous as I have read never to go back and try to rework a spot.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You don't wet the floor.

Vacuum the floor. Then swamp the floor.

Then tack off boat.

Then the next morning, before painting, swamp the floor again and tack again.

Clean was not my issue. Paint flow was....