ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Happy belated birthday!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Happy birthday GB :D

Marc

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the birthday greetings gents. Life's good. :D

I spent time today getting the last of the gear off Great Sandy and bringing it home for cleaning and servicing.

I also worked up a detailed list of maintenance jobs to do on Great Sandy this year - she's been somewhat neglected in recent years due to Skinnydip's build.

I'll just chip away at the list, while at the same time tackling a longer 'to finish' list on Skinnydip.

I'm looking forward to working my way through both. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Congratulations, beautiful boat! Enjoy!

Daniel

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Ooops double post, apologies.
Last edited by glossieblack on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Daniel. :D

Today I forked out just over US $200 to the local Volvo Penta outlet for a cast iron mixing elbow for Great Sandy's 40hp diesel. Ouch!

The elbow mixes cold sea water with hot engine exhaust gases in a way that avoids the sea water being sucked back into the into the engine while at the same time cooling the gases for discharge overboard via a wet exhaust.

The combination of hot exhaust gases and cold sea water is highly corrosive, which eventually causes mixing elbows to fail (cast iron ones faster than the more expensive aftermarket ss ones).

It's prudent maintenance to replace the elbows every 5 years or so to avoid failure while at sea.

Years ago in another boat I had this happen, and it was no fun. :help:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is a smart man who replaces wear parts before they fail :wink: Volvo parts have always been known for being high priced at least in my area. Be happy you can still get them. I have a beautiful very low time Volvo sitting in my shop that I can not get parts for. :cry:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wtf fuzz... it’s 6:18aET. Don’t you sleep?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Happy Australia Day! 8)
Big Barty fan, watching the happy slam as always for over 40 years.
One of these days...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks gents. :D
Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 pm Happy Australia Day! 8)
Big Barty fan, watching the happy slam as always for over 40 years.
One of these days...
AA, Aussies like Barty because she's an emerging champion who is graceful, courteous and humble. That's the way they used to be, and the way we liked it.

And we wonder how long the Australian Open will remain a slam tournament. It's already being touted as the Asian Slam. With tennis revenues exploding across Asia, it seems only a matter of time before an Asian Open, played perhaps in Japan or China, dislodges the Australian Open as a slam.