Jaysen's Mini 580 plan -- on indefinite pause :(

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Mini 580 plan

Post by Jaysen »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 pm I don’t know squat about sailing but I’ll support your project. Sounds like fun.
Will commit to donate 3 gallons of epoxy to the build.
Thank you! I'll let you know when we are close to start and we can arrange a pickup (plans to visit BBC aready being made so I'll be driving right by you).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:22 am Keep the MG and just buy a truck.
That negotiation is on going. The MG seems to eat engines based on my lead foot. Mrs is all "how much boat can you build for the price of an engine" and I'm all "crap... she makes a solid case!"

If I plan this right I find a 60's dodge or chevy body on a modern chassis. That kind of hits all the key points for me :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

As we get nearer the formal launch more info is coming out... Here's the materials list: https://classmini580.com/materials/

Looks about the same as SB18. Not sure about the screws. May ask if that can be replaced with tape/glue if they are not temp for holding. I like that they have lighting and everything else called out. they have an EU vendor that sells a complete kit (no price). i'm still going BBC because we all know Jeff and team level of service and quality.

They have some renderings up now: https://classmini580.com/gallery/

Definitely a departure from the SB18/i550 open concept. Based on the materials list there is more then a trivial amount of welding and bending to do. I do like the implications that the plans include pushpit/pulpit specs as well.

BOOOO!!! can't buy plans till 3/21 (or maybe 6/1)... https://classmini580.com/plans/

Still lots of good info there. It does feel like they are reserving the early sequences for the bigger orgs. I do understand the desire to have people that know what they are doing provide real feedback on the plans initially. Still... feels like a bit of a shut out of the new guy.

Yes... I'm behaving like a teenage girl with a crush.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The list of gear is quite complete on first glance but as far as I can tell misses some things:
1) They show dividers and other nav gear but no charts, which brings up a related issue: You could theoretically get around the world with an inflatable globe--that is, until you have to close the coast. That may be necessary at any point in case of some kind of failure. Also, plenty of people now are comfortable voyaging with electronic charts, but I wouldn't be.
2) There are several electric fixtures--lights, radios, batteries--but I see no method of charging.
3) There is no system to get yourself up the mast.

Maybe I've overlooked these.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The list is "recommended" for the racing but neither complete nor required. I'm sure the class spec (when actually visible to mere mortals) would detail the required gear. So you would be cleared but likely not smart.

I'm with you in wanting paper charts for areas that I expect to be close to shore. Not sure how I'd plan that for the global other than ±2 quadrants for each port of call (the global is legged with stops in each leg near as I can tell). Right now I'm not sure I'll be able to make the global though as waiting to Jun1 to build may make it hard to qualify and get support by 2024.

I have an open, private question to Don M about "qualified builders" to see if I can get plans before the new "amateur builder" open date of June 1. I've a few options if I can't get plans early. I don't want to, but I could just pay for a spec hull. I can buy some extra vaca and hope the weather and epoxy gods comply. Or...

Anyway... Don has been quick to reply. I'm sure we can figure this out.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

OK, so how do YOU plan to charge batteries?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 am OK, so how do YOU plan to charge batteries?
Well... let's start with the standard "I can put solar on there". We all agree that may not cut it.

I'm working with some new hybrid power storage that should allow me to be much more efficient in storage (higher density) with less exacting V+ inputs. Using a 3p custom wound stator and some magnets it's pretty easy to generate high voltage an amperage. From there a couple of hw+software tweaks and I can charge that storage solution pretty easy now that I've eliminated the LiPO/AGM charge issues. Add that to the move to all high efficiency circuits and it's only a matter of what method do I use to turn the generator? I'm working on a handheld POC to charge my phone and speakers on Lil Bit :)

I've been working on this for a few years. Finally have a real reason to go past the napkin and into the "put some $$ into it" phase.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Holy smokes! Just had an FB - IM exchange with Don. Based on Lil Bit and my other woodworking, home building experience I should be good for the "experienced builder" early plans!

If y'all can't tell, I caught the race bug last summer. Tony introducing me to the GGR was the death knell for my sanity. Mrs is on board after a couple trips on the j30. So we are doing this!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am
terrulian wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 am OK, so how do YOU plan to charge batteries?
Well... let's start with the standard "I can put solar on there". We all agree that may not cut it.

I'm working with some new hybrid power storage that should allow me to be much more efficient in storage (higher density) with less exacting V+ inputs. Using a 3p custom wound stator and some magnets it's pretty easy to generate high voltage an amperage. From there a couple of hw+software tweaks and I can charge that storage solution pretty easy now that I've eliminated the LiPO/AGM charge issues. Add that to the move to all high efficiency circuits and it's only a matter of what method do I use to turn the generator? I'm working on a handheld POC to charge my phone and speakers on Lil Bit :)

I've been working on this for a few years. Finally have a real reason to go past the napkin and into the "put some $$ into it" phase.
New posting of class rules may invalidate a lot of my charging plan as they require AGM. I may be able to move my system to just be the charger to the AGM.

If you want to cry a little look at the class rule. It's targeted more toward a GGR style "man and the sea" but allows more electronics for nav.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

OK, well, you're way beyond me on the electrical system, as I anticipated. I'll look at the class rules.
BTW, I found Don was extremely good about responding to messages during the GG race, and I had a couple of interesting exchanges. I don't know how the guy has time for all that he does.
Tony