Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

Yes, it does matter what type of wood you are using. I used okoume. As the previous poster said, towards the bow, a few tabs won't hurt. I tabbed the whole boat which was not necessary.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

FluidDynamic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:40 am I put some heat on it last night with a heater. It's now hardened to where I can barely push my finger nail in it. Yesterday, I could push my finger into it and compress it. Cant do that now. Looks like its curing, but taking alot longer than normal. If the mix was off a little, does that effect curing time and final strength.
Yes, to a point. There's a certain allowable tolerance of course, then mixes outside of that will compromise physical properties, even if it gets hard. I am assuming that since it is curing that you weren't too far out but it is a judgment call as to what to do. If it's in a structural area, and if I had any doubts at all about the overall bond, I'd remove and redo. Otherwise I'd think long and hard about where it is in the boat. If it's cured hard I'd have a dig with a metal probe (like an iki spike) and compare to a known good cure.

One option is to put another layer of tape over just that bit, overlapping onto good glass by a couple of inches. That might be overkill, but I'd sleep at night. If it's only a small area in a frame then you might be ok.

At the end of the day it's your call.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

It ended up curing. I really don't know what happened.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Possible that it's not as strong. Only a destructive test would tell you. Build on, I suppose.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

It was a small area. This thing has so much fiberglass on it, I'm not worried.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Plumbing is done.
Attachments
20200424_180340.jpg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

FluidDynamic wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:49 pm It was a small area. This thing has so much fiberglass on it, I'm not worried.
In that case I wouldn't be either. Nice job by the way. I considered building a Pg20, even bought the plans. It would go well in NZ chop. In the end wife wanted a 'roof' and I wanted more protection from the elements, so went with the C17.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 am Given the pressure on the PG20 panels though, I'd still think that a patch or two at the bow would help. Especially with Meranti. Okoumes another story. My C17 had a panel pop loose when I got too enthusiastic on planing a radius on the corners. I had to restitch it and used a patch.

I'm not saying don't do it, just proceed with caution.
Thanks to the both of you. I went with just the filet. I was very skeptical. But....I'm not anymore. I cut the zips and unscrewed from the frames. Everything just kind of went into shape. Very cool part of the build. Filled in the holes and zip tie spots today. Gonna sand some tomorrow and get on with the fiberglassing.. Thanks again guys.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

On a side note. I got some silica filler for the filet. I paint cars etc. and had a little mixing bucket that must've still had a small bit of clean up chemical. Either alcohol or mineral spirits. i mixed the epoxy in it and added the filler. I'm not joking....about ten minutes later there was a large clump in the bottom that was hardened and it was hot and smoking. I got to teach my son some important lessons about chemicals. LOL

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

sharkbait2576 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:40 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 am Given the pressure on the PG20 panels though, I'd still think that a patch or two at the bow would help. Especially with Meranti. Okoumes another story. My C17 had a panel pop loose when I got too enthusiastic on planing a radius on the corners. I had to restitch it and used a patch.

I'm not saying don't do it, just proceed with caution.
Thanks to the both of you. I went with just the filet. I was very skeptical. But....I'm not anymore. I cut the zips and unscrewed from the frames. Everything just kind of went into shape. Very cool part of the build. Filled in the holes and zip tie spots today. Gonna sand some tomorrow and get on with the fiberglassing.. Thanks again guys.
I suggest you get a build thread started. They are meant to go in the bottom subforum: builder's progress. Worth the time you spend on it, with the pointers you get.