ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by OrangeQuest »

That should bring peace to someone. Very nice.

I have nothing but buildings to look at live.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

How did she run in those waves? 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Maybe you could use 18 mm strong Pawlownia wood for bow and transom and even seats of the Feather Pram it beats 1/5 Oukume with framing around it by weight. It is also used as core for surfboards and ever since I used it as seats on my first boat I like it because it is easy to work with and to sand. I is also called the aluminium of all wood types. It is reasonably priced. I paid LxWxH 800x600x18 mm 15 Euros only.
Only disadvantage it must be sealed against water with epoxy. Just a thought while you wait for your Okoume to arrive.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

oooops double post. apologies.
Last edited by glossieblack on Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee, OQ and Karl. :D
cape man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:15 am How did she run in those waves? 8)
Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. :D :D :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Your version of anhingas. Why is the common name "Darter"? Here we call them "Snake Birds" or "Water Turkeys". Our fish farming clients DO NOT like them!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:05 am Your version of anhingas. Why is the common name "Darter"? Here we call them "Snake Birds" or "Water Turkeys". Our fish farming clients DO NOT like them!!!
Had to go to goggle to find an answer to your question cape man. Seems that darter is the generic name when coupled with geography, e.g. American darter, African darter, Australasian darter etc. Seems the generic 'darter' comes from the way they use their dart like straight beak to skewer fish, and that snake bird comes from Brazilian Tupi language and means devil bird or snake bird, probably because of the way they move their long graceful necks like a snake. The pic below of an Aussie male darter drying his wings shows his tail is a bit like a turkey - hence the water turkey monica?

Regardless, they are fascinating birds to observe dive bombing and staying underwater for seemingly forever before triumphantly surfacing with a beak-impaled fish. :D

Image,

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is a great picture :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Looks like a ‘shag’ to me! Often found sitting on a rock drying their wings - hence the expression ‘Like a shag on a rock’! :lol:

No, not that sort of ‘shag’ - although that can also be found on a rock! :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 am Looks like a ‘shag’ to me! Often found sitting on a rock drying their wings - hence the expression ‘Like a shag on a rock’! :lol:
No, not that sort of ‘shag’ - although that can also be found on a rock! :D
Suspect you're thinking cormorant aka shag (hooked beak), whereas a darter (straight beak) is a different bird, on a rock or not. :wink: