ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen »

Here are the screen caps if me doing 1-3 on my phone.

1. Go to your personal album by clicking on your name. It should be glossieblack where Jaysen is in this image. 6435

2. Look for the upload button. Mine is down a bit as I have subalbums. You do not need subalbums to up load. The images just land in your personal space. 6436

3. The upload screen should look like this. No subalbums selection. Click the select file button to navigate local storage and find the files to upload. Click continue to completed.

I can’t show you the next screen as my dirt old phone gets stupid. But you set rotation and add comments on each file. Click submit to finalize the settings and commit to the DB.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen, Right near the beginning of your sequence, where you select your Jaysen personal album, I can't find a glossieblack one to select.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen, I've worked out how to do it! First had to create a personal album in my user control panel.

Test pic is mould 6 of the Feather Pram. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Beautiful mould, is the exact angle of each board given on the plans ? I can imagine it takes a while to draw and cut out such moulds.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:50 pm Jaysen, Right near the beginning of your sequence, where you select your Jaysen personal album, I can't find a glossieblack one to select.
Thank you for that feedback. I’ll add that to my steps.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Karl and Fuzz, for the Feather Pram, to accurately draw the shape of the moulds on sheets of ply from which the moulds will be cut, you need to take the following steps:

1. Understand what the supplied full size patterns show.

Referring to the first pic, a full size cross-section of a theoretical rounded hull at stations 2, 3 and 4 are shown.

Station 3 is shown only as a curved line, along with the points along the curve where the individual clinker plans will land (plank lands).

Section 4 shows the layout for 1/5” thick plywood planking, whereas Section 2 shows the layout for ¼” thick solid timber planking.

Referring to sections 4 and 2, and working from the centreline towards the gunwale, it can be seen that a mould cut precisely locate the
planks, needs to be saw-toothed.

2. The next pic shows how I marked up the cross-section of all planks on a copy of sections 2, 3 and 4. This was necessary to reveal accurately
the necessary saw tooth shaped mould at each section. The plank lands are also drawn accurately, at right angles to the relevant plank (not
yet done for #2 in pic) .

The baseline, centreline, design water line and saw-tooth shape of each mould can then be transferred from plan to plywood using a sharp
point pushed through the plan into the plywood.

The positions of the plank lands are transferred as lines extended at right angles from the plank face. These lines will later be cut into the
mould.

3. The next pic shows a cut out mould. The saw tooth shape is more pronounced towards the gunwale and the keel. Each plank should sit
precisely on the flat surface of each mould, and its inboard edge should but up against the sawtooth ‘rise’ . The edges of the mould’s indented cut-out define where the plank lands are.

Hope this makes sense. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

All five moulds now cut. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Karl, I have sent you a PM.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am guess the moulds come out after the planks are glued?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Not sure I totally understand all that is going on but I am plenty happy to watch and learn :D