FS13 doublers needed?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Ben Coombs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS13 doublers needed?

Post by Ben Coombs »

Howdy all.

I asked a question in an old thread about the FS13 but didn’t get any luck with answers... I know there aren’t many of these being built. Or so not seems.

At any rate since time has passed my questions have changed.

At this point I am waiting on the foam to arrive and finishing up cleats for the deck. The plans call for a doubler under the middle compartment. The plans say that the doubler is for adding the handrail—for bolting it down. Mine will have no bar added and will be used as a SUP only. I have also removed the transom and slanted the aft 10” of deck towards the water (pics below).

Do I need the doubler for standing strength? Without it, will I dent the deck with a hard footfall? Since it’s only a paddeboard, I’ll likely walk around more for balance and trim. Do I need more than one doubler? Or none? The foam will be 2lb.

My thought is to take the two cut pieces of doubler and add one in the middle and one in the section aft. It won’t be enough for mounting hardware, but could be enough for standing?

Whatcha think?
Thanks
Ben
Attachments
DFE42803-6509-4588-8C95-83887C3DA9E3.jpeg
116CA017-4B36-43CC-AC92-68A0B152C2DB.jpeg
AD24F473-CAB8-4B36-8865-1332DA9469E4.jpeg
00115221-4866-4D6E-920F-24A17E5AE1EA.jpeg
6EB37168-8407-42EE-B3E0-F1CADC6853AC.jpeg
249D4D55-DD21-4EC2-B9CB-37C10F717C74.jpeg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS13 doublers needed?

Post by cape man »

How thick is the deck? How much do you weigh (yeah.. that's personal, I know 8) )? Are you installing cleats on top of the stringers and bulk heads? I would at least butt block the sole panels together.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Ben Coombs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Coombs »

I’m a little shy of 200. Thanks for asking. ;)

I’m using 5mm ply. It’s not marine ply, just exterior rated. All the stringers will have cleats, and the forward bulkhead. The new stern will have extra bracing too, although no one will stand there, it’s just for ease of getting back aboard after a swim (intended or not).

The deck will have a butt joint and I’ll likely cover the deck in cloth too. A large portion of the deck will have SUP foam on it as well, which may help distribute weight (prob not by much).

Thanks

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I built the SK14. It looks to me like you didn't use foam? The foam may be structural, and without it you may need a thicker sole. Maybe dry fit it and walk around on it? Still, I think w/o foam you'd need the doubler. My SK14 with foam is rock solid on and off the double section.

Dougster

Ben Coombs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Coombs »

Thanks Dougster.

I’m waiting for foam to arrive. But not adding cleats until I decide on my plan.

What thickness ply is the deck on your 14?

B

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I have built the FS13 and found out that with my weight 120 KG it is advisable to stand on the doubler which I installed exactly according to the plan and I built SS threads sticking up in the corner of the doubler to attach the handhold. The deck is suitable to walk on when it is floating and I also used thin plywood for it. I put cleats on all sides of the frames and then I put foam all in between. When I step on the deck on the water forward of the doubler I have the feeling it moves a bit under my weight, but so far it was always OK. I would definitely not step on the deck outside the doubler area while it is lying on land like the beach. My advise is what you suggested yourself to put the 2 doublers behind each other towards the stern and then you should be fine and in addition you should use cleats where the deck and doublers have additional support besides the support the frames give. Let us see pictures how you carry on building your FS13. It is true that not many FS13 are built, but I know all of the non builders like to see pictures of it being built.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
PS.: Look in my bateau gallery and my FS13
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I believe my sole is 3/8" ply. I'll check later to be sure and correct if I'm wrong.

Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

No, I was wrong. I used 1/4" for the sole.

Dougster

Esoriano
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Esoriano »

You’ll fine without doublers if not installing anything which needs to be secured with screws, I use 5mm triplay and feels fine (I mean solid) when I step into the boat in areas where there’s no doubler below

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

A double thickness where the plans show it weighs very little and cost nothing. Look at the nesting: if you don't use that plywood, you must throw it away.
When I was younger, lighter and nimble, I walked very lightly around a boat deck and like Esonario, could have used an FS13 as a SUP without a doubler, Today, I am more than 200 lbs and not very agile and would need a doubler.

PS: For those who do not have the plans, the doubler is a double thickness of the sole in the middle compartment. Sorry, it's not proper English but that's the name I came up with.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com