Fixed.......... Found water under the cockpit deck

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Found water under the cockpit deck

Post by TomTom »

It would be interesting to hear what Jacques has to say about all of this...

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I’m very interested to hear Jacques’ comments. I have 8 sealed compartments outside of the two stringers below the sole filled (mostly) with 2 part foam from US Composites that is USCC approved just for that purpose. Time will tell I guess???

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

On the foam vs noodles debate, anyone ever use empty water bottles? That's my plan at the moment unless I become convinced it's a horrible idea.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

TomTom wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 pm It would be interesting to hear what Jacques has to say about all of this...
What can I say? There is a leak.
Water does not go through marine ply or epoxy and glass, that means there is a leak somewhere.
The most probable spot for a leak is where chase tubes penetrate the sole.
Epoxy does not bond to PVC pipes.
At those points, your pipes must extend above the sole by a few inches and they must be sealed where they go through the sole.
You can seal with 5200 or you can build a fiberglass sleeve all around to the top of the pipe. Think of the PVC pipe as a lost mold.
To just glass a small lip around the pipe is not sufficient.
Even with the methods above, if water gets over the top of the pipe, it will flood the pipe and go somewhere.
In general, chase tubes are not sealed and at the seams, water will leak under the sole.
That is probably what happened here: leak around the pipe or at the pipes connections under the sole.

Just as Capt UB wrote, once the water is there, cyclic contraction and expansion will propagate the water.
The 2 part foam can expand and contract to a point but once there is enough water in those sealed compartment, something must give.

BTW, the USCG accepts empty sealed compartments as legal buoyancy volume.
I would still not exclude the use of 2 part foam but would instead focus on the proper sealing of PVC pipes.
One could also drain the foamed compartments, a belt and suspenders solution.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am On the foam vs noodles debate, anyone ever use empty water bottles? That's my plan at the moment unless I become convinced it's a horrible idea.
I have a coworker that has used quart and gallon oil bottles. He collected them for a while and they build up fast at the hanger we work at with our frequent oil changes.

The only issue is they rattle around alot no matter how tightly you pack them in. I think he was going to use gallon ones under his kids dock as well.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:43 am The only issue is they rattle around alot no matter how tightly you pack them in.
That's exactly what I was wondering about. Was thinking of maybe hitting them with 3M spray glue or something along those lines as I load them, I'll continue deliberating, appreciate the input.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:43 am The only issue is they rattle around alot no matter how tightly you pack them in.
Maybe I'll fill the bottles with water, water is very good at absorbing sound. Actually, now that I think about that for a second, that's insane! I can just buy bottles that are already filled! Doh!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 am
Maybe I'll fill the bottles with water, water is very good at absorbing sound. Actually, now that I think about that for a second, that's insane! I can just buy bottles that are already filled! Doh!
:lol: I see what you are doing there! :lol:

Why not put foam in the bottles and then foam around the bottles?! :lol:

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fixed.......... Found water under the cockpit deck

Post by Capt UB »

Fixed, found the problem.... Can you spot it?
IMG_20200701_122502469~2.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

BB Sig wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:34 pm
:lol: I see what you are doing there! :lol:

Why not put foam in the bottles and then foam around the bottles?! :lol:
:D

I thought about foam in the bottles too, but I think I'd prefer the noise over trying to maybe 50-100 bottles with expanding foam, I do not have the attention span for that! But it is a very intersting idea!