SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by Jeff »

Nice work AggieGirl!!! An 8HP will make you fly!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yes you'd fly with 8. I use a 5 hp Tohatsu propane outboard and get 12 mph on plane. That's with a good 80lbs or ore of battery and trolling motor on the nose. With another two guys in it I get just under 10 mph. I'd just go with 6hp, but then I don't care much about speed. The propane is great: no bad/old/alcohol fuel worries.

Dougster

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looking good! Keep at it! What color are you painting it?

8 or 9.9 what's the difference?! :lol: The Yamahas 8 and 9.9 are the same weight... Just make sure you build the heavy duty version if you go with 9.9! :D Check the build notes on the transom height. The FS13 transom is 13". Not sure what the SK14 transom measures.

Make sure you attach your rubrails before pouring foam if you go down that road. There has been a few issues with foam lately that is generating varying opinions. Best to do your own research on the subject. This is all if the plans don't mandate the use of foam. The FS13 (SK14 little brother) plans mandate foam due to the thin 4mm sole. :)

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Hard to tell from pictures but just wanted to mention to make sure and follow the glass schedule on the plans for all the structural parts. Your work looks good. Have you used epoxy before?

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Thanks for the input on the motors, it is hard to know what I will need as my experience is very, very limited. I am taking weight into consideration for sure. The goal is to minimize the overall weight of the boat while maximizing it for the things I want to do.

I am planning on painting the boat navy blue with a white deck.

This is my first time working with epoxy. It has been a learning experience. The slow hardener really helps because I have time to think about/be deliberate with every step.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Stick with slow. Fast will burn you. Literally. Once your local temp is under 75 consider fast. I like fast for fairing as it allows me to get a couple rounds done fast.

Motor size is a sticky topic. Jacques provides a max HP to keep you safe. That said, he also understands the litigious nature of society and there is some margin in there.

If you search the forums he Provides very detailed response about over powering a hull. Here it is in a nutshell... the hull can take the motor and thrust forces, but the danger is in the WATER PREASURE on the hull bottom at speed. Be very careful overpowering. You do it at your own risk.

If you fill the hull with two part foam you make it stiffer (read up on that as some folks don’t like the foam). That will make it a little stronger in resisting the water preasure. Be very careful overpowering. You do it at your own risk.

Your build is looking good. Keep paying attention to the details and taking the advice of those on the forum and you’ll have a very nice little boat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

I am working on the frame today. How tightly should these pieces fit into the hull? I am having to apply a lot of force and flex the sides of the boat to make everything fit.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Many times the plywood will not touch the frames in places. The bend in the plywood is what gives the shape. The number one thing at this point is fairness. Get your panels hung and then post pictures. The guys who have built this hull will chime in and give you good advise.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I had to press my frames in pretty hard. Eventually I realized the bottom panels were not laying flat and by pressing down vertically on the frames I could flatten them, which bowed the side panels out nicely and let the frames fit. Take your time and post pics as Fuzz said.

Dougster

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Have you been making any more progress?