I'm New Here

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: I'm New Here

Post by VT_Jeff »

Welcome!

The fs14ls is my second boat, first was a 12' driftboat. The glassing of the seams and bottom is the first real challenge you'll run into, everything up till that point is fun and low-stress. Not difficult, but intimidating due to the cost of the materials and the fact that it's a single, continuous process, where up till then it's go-as-you-like. So plan that part very thoroughly, have additional hands available if possible. But I can assure you that if I got through it without the need to grind/repeat, anyone can.

Most definitely can be done as a first boat though and it sounds like you have a nice space to work in.

Are you upsizing? I got a PM from someone a while back looking to upsize and lost track of them.

Good luck,

jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

And pondering... you will need to master pondering.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm And pondering... you will need to master pondering.
Most Definitely! And Don't forget second guessing and mind-changing.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Where does creative cursing fall on the skills list?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

JD_TX
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JD_TX »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:21 pm Welcome!

Are you upsizing? I got a PM from someone a while back looking to upsize and lost track of them.

Good luck,

jeff
No I think I will stick to the plans for my first build. I will probably order the CNC cut kit too so that I have the best shot at success.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm And pondering... you will need to master pondering.
Hmmm. How am I gonna wrap this thing with carbon fiber?

Must ponder. Spock, is Jim in an alien mind trance? No, he is just pondering the vastness of the universe.
B1575E6B-4DF2-4719-A61D-D9DD00B23A42.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495