PC24 Hull Speed

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PC24 Hull Speed

Post by Bartman »

What can someone expect for speed of PC24 if using the max 70hp listed? Any advantage besides redundancy by utilizing twins are the rear of each hull? Twin 30's or 40's? I have a "riding pontoon" and a fishing pontoon now. I'd like to build exactly what I want as neither of these are ideal as far as layout and seating. BUT what I do not want is another pontoon that struggles to break 20 kts with 3 people on board. I have a 24ft with a 90 Suzuki 4 stroke, 2 people on board runs 19-20 kts. 5 people on board, more like 12 knts. WOT already optimized prop and outboard position. It used to be slower than that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PC24 Hull Speed

Post by jacquesmm »

Speed predictions for that type of boat are difficult and depend very much on displacement and HP.
One of our first PC24 builders gets more than 30 mph with a 115 with 4 persons on board.
That PC24 has the optional deck framing for stiffness.
A 70 HP with the same load will run between 20 and 25 mph.
20 knots is 23 mph.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bartman »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:42 pm Speed predictions for that type of boat are difficult and depend very much on displacement and HP.
One of our first PC24 builders gets more than 30 mph with a 115 with 4 persons on board.
That PC24 has the optional deck framing for stiffness.
A 70 HP with the same load will run between 20 and 25 mph.
20 knots is 23 mph.
Is the optional deck framing outlined in the plans? And is twin outboards (not over powered, just like the security of duals) detailed?

Thanks

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

A Yamaha F70 is an incredibly dependable engine. I would recommend for backup a smaller kicker engine with a pull start and its own fuel source/tank. That way a battery problem or a fuel problem does not require redundancies like dual tanks and two start batteries. The issue with dual engines is added complexities in steering systems as well; the requirements for either hydraulic or mechanical tie bar; the cost of hydraulic cylinders, etc. My build has leveraged all of these, but the expense is simply not justified for a boat planned for inland lakes. Our cost for dual engines is many thousands.

Hydraulic steering-$3-4000
Manual tie bars are a couple hundred, but tilting and trimming can be a pain.

Extra built in fuel tank, fillers, vents, lines, filters $1000, although a portable tank can be less than $100

Extra start battery and cables and ignition $200

Our build uses electronic shift and clutch controllers which are another $2k per engine. You would not need those, but you would need cabling $100.

Twin engine binnacle ...more money again..

My cost which is $4000-$5000 per engine to accomodate dual engines with redundant systems.

If a kicker is possible is the better question. If so, for example, could a reserve engine be fitted on one of the pontoons. Just with a tiller to get you back to port.

The extra cost for the pc24 is really not wise. I would say you are going to be spending a minimum of about $1000 to go dual engines. Then you will be spending more per horsepower for smaller engines and weight advantages are reduced as well.

Hope I don't sound patronizing. Best of luck.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The Yamaha F70 is 253 pounds.

The Yamaha F30 is 214 pounds.

Dual engines get you to 60 horsepower at a weight of 428 pounds or about 175 pounds more than the F70 plus the cables and start battery, call it 220 pounds more that goes against the pax rating.

I had to check for you cuz I figured it was a bunch. It is really a lot in dual four strokes.

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bartman »

Fallguy thanks for your comments. I have considered those issues. I think my main issue is I'm trying to fit all of my boating needs into one boat. Not really sure I can get there. I keep buying boats because it's easy and buying used, a decent deal. I use them for a while, fix them up and sell them. I really don't intentially flip boats but it's kind of how it ends up. We live on a lake (actually two lakes) that's about 140,000 acres and has a set of locks that connects to the Atlantic. A trip to the ocean is a day trip. There is not a lot of support so making duals attractive. My wife is much more nervious than myself. We like the open deck of the pontoon but would like a little more speed at times. The best solution honestly would be something that can handle a little rougher water conditions than a pontoon.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

CT22+10%? Just saying based on your questions...

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Bartman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:34 am Fallguy thanks for your comments. I have considered those issues. I think my main issue is I'm trying to fit all of my boating needs into one boat. Not really sure I can get there. I keep buying boats because it's easy and buying used, a decent deal. I use them for a while, fix them up and sell them. I really don't intentially flip boats but it's kind of how it ends up. We live on a lake (actually two lakes) that's about 140,000 acres and has a set of locks that connects to the Atlantic. A trip to the ocean is a day trip. There is not a lot of support so making duals attractive. My wife is much more nervious than myself. We like the open deck of the pontoon but would like a little more speed at times. The best solution honestly would be something that can handle a little rougher water conditions than a pontoon.
Look at the Skoota 24. See if you can build the aft cockpit benches only. Then install a head for the Mrs in the front and a lay down area.