Deck material for whitewater inflatable

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Deck material for whitewater inflatable

Post by VT_Jeff »

I have a cataraft with an oar rig my wife and I use to float -fish water that my driftboat is not suited for. I'd like to add a deck that will extend over the side tubes and over the "bow", as both a casting deck and a perch for the pup on long floats. I know I can use plywood but am wondering if there is a smarter choice. The plastic panels used for banquet tables seem interesting, is there something out there that would be a no-brainer for this? Hard to even know what to search for.

Elaine got this sick rainbow on a dry at the very last minute before the water shutoff to keep us from getting skunked on Wednesday!
20200920_095212.jpg
This is the new pup, hopefully will enjoy fishing as much as the last one!
20200920_081536.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Deck material for whitewater inflatable

Post by Fuzz »

Good looking pup :D
In the past few years I have become a fan of Nidacore/nidaplast/carboncore. I think it is all the same stuff with different names. Lots of folks around here are using it for their boat decks.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

One inch plascore with one inch aquaplas edges; laminated with two layers of 1708 bottom and one top; csm up.

You can buy a sheet of plascore up to 5x10 and some drift boat builders might stock it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Finishing the edges is the biggest problem. You can do like FG says and use foam and it will look good. You can also use solid wood, plywood edging or you can glass it then route out about 1/2 inch of the edge and fill with puddy.
The commercial fishermen around here have taken to building their decks with 2 inch cores and two layers of 1708 on each side. If it holds up to those boys it should be way good for you :wink:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Stiffness for weight it's hard to beat plywood. 6-9mm ply epoxied both sides with some stiffeners underneath. Or even PT ply for a cheap and nasty job. It depends how much time and money you want to put into this.

I take it that's a big rainbow for inland USA?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice catch and great looking pup!!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:08 am Or even PT ply for a cheap and nasty job. It depends how much time and money you want to put into this.

I take it that's a big rainbow for inland USA?
I really like the plastic honeycomb stuff, watched some videos and it is amazing, but for the work and expense it may be over the top for the simple problem I'm looking to solve, at least at the moment. I think I'm going to start with PT plywood with some carpet as a prototype, quick and nasty as you say, and then see if the use warrants an upgrade to the nice stuff.

That Rainbow is quite good for that particular stretch of the Deerfield River near the VT border, 15 minutes from my house. "Inland USA" produces much, much larger rainbows/steelhead in both the east and west.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:06 pm Good looking pup :D
In the past few years I have become a fan of Nidacore/nidaplast/carboncore. I think it is all the same stuff with different names. Lots of folks around here are using it for their boat decks.
Thanks Fuzz. As I mentioned above, that carbon-core looks like really great stuff, may be overkill for this unless I can find a local supplier, (there is a place in springfield MA that may carry it) and figure out a way to keep the amount of labor down. Going to start with pt plywood to see how it all works in motion.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Thanks Fuzz. As I mentioned above, that carbon-core looks like really great stuff, may be overkill for this unless I can find a local supplier, (there is a place in springfield MA that may carry it) and figure out a way to keep the amount of labor down. Going to start with pt plywood to see how it all works in motion.
You aren't epoxying this right? Nothing wrong with pressure treated for quick and cheap as long as you aren't using epoxy. Epoxy can have trouble adhering to pressure treated wood, I think because of the moisture content. Might not apply to plywood? But either way once someone is spending the money on epoxy I think it's probably worth using nicer ply too.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:41 pm
You aren't epoxying this right? Nothing wrong with pressure treated for quick and cheap as long as you aren't using epoxy. Epoxy can have trouble adhering to pressure treated wood, I think because of the moisture content. Might not apply to plywood? But either way once someone is spending the money on epoxy I think it's probably worth using nicer ply too.
For the PT prototype, no epoxy. Just going to cut it to size/shape, glue on some I/O carpet, attach some D-rings and strap it to the front of the raft. I've heard the same about epoxy and PT plywood, hopefully carpet glue won't present the same problem, i suppose I should research that first.