Hickman Sled 18 Bonus plans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Hickman Sled 18 Bonus plans

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Jacques, Do you remember the gentleman name who built the HS23 or where i could find more info about this design?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

See my reply in your other thread.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's progress in this thread because it contains a picture of the 2 hulls.
Please go back to the picture, a few posts above this one and note how different the two hulls are.
The HS21 has a deeper vee, more pronounced angles and more freeboard.
It is very close to the latest original Hickman Sled while the TX18 is closer to the Jackson interpretation.

I looked for the file and can't find it anymore but I have a bunch of backup hard drives and will work on it today.

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08 am Let's progress in this thread because it contains a picture of the 2 hulls.
Please go back to the picture, a few posts above this one and note how different the two hulls are.
The HS21 has a deeper vee, more pronounced angles and more freeboard.
It is very close to the latest original Hickman Sled while the TX18 is closer to the Jackson interpretation.

I looked for the file and can't find it anymore but I have a bunch of backup hard drives and will work on it today.
Thank you for that....I am ordering tx18 with bonus plans now

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I found not only the 3D model but the 2D drawings, exactly as described in the study plans. That version is named HS18. It's 18', not 21 or 23.
Look at the end of your PDF files, the 3 last pages are titled "Preliminary design HS18", that's the bonus plans.
It shows the hull lines, the molds (= frames) and the expanded plywood hull panels. The scantlings and building method are identical to the TX18.

I can not find the 20 year old Hickman sled that I designed for somebody who wanted to experiment with the hull shape. It was probably drafted in Nautilus or Prolines and I did not keep those files. The hull shape was very close to the HS18.

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Thanks for looking. I got the plans an did a quick overall look before i had to sleep for work tonight. I am about to look them over again.

Was the Bill Jackson redesign named the "Sea Jet" and "Veep"? I found plans from a William Jackson. I doubt there are to many "Jacksons" designing Hickman style sea sleds......

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Is it possible to scale up either the HS18 or TX18 for a longer boat?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Kenfyoozed wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:38 pm Thanks for looking. I got the plans an did a quick overall look before i had to sleep for work tonight. I am about to look them over again.

Was the Bill Jackson redesign named the "Sea Jet" and "Veep"? I found plans from a William Jackson. I doubt there are to many "Jacksons" designing Hickman style sea sleds......
I don't know but my design is based on ideas and reviews from many boats. Hickman's lines and features change as he gained experience: deadrise, chine step etc. I know the Jackson version but there was also, built in Florida, a plywood boat named Cosby or Crosby. I spoke to a Cosby owner and to several people who experimented with the Hickman's hull shape.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Kenfyoozed wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:44 pm Is it possible to scale up either the HS18 or TX18 for a longer boat?
Yes, the scaling rules that I list in our HowTo files apply.

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

How would on go about getting the proper stringers for the HS18?

The beam of the hs18 looks to be 86". Could this design be scaled by 15% to get a max beam of 99" and length of 21'-2"? I

I was thinking of 3/8" plywood for the hull.

Also is there a provision for the HS18 plans in metric?