Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Post by LilRichard »

Ladies / Gents,

I recently acquired a 27’ Blackfin "Sportsman". The hull sank in its slip and was submerged for ~6 hours. This was fine by me because I prefer to have a “blank slate” when it comes to motors, rigging, electronics, etc. The boat will undergo some major transformations, namely moving from inboards to outboards. I have some boat building experience I hope to leverage in this project (rebuilt an Aquasport 222 over a decade ago), but welcome all comments / suggestions. So far "Daytrip" has been very helpful - shout out to him for his time.

I am thrilled to have hull, and will provide updates as available. For now, here are some prelim pictures:

At yard:

Seized Yanmars:

Pre-Sink:

Loading Up:

BIG boat!

Finally Home!

Hull Bottom:
Last edited by LilRichard on Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Rebuild: 27' BlackfinSportsman

Post by LilRichard »

I am posting this in order to bring the build to "current". So far we have the fuel tanks out, as well as motors / trans. Removed rudders and steering equipment. Also cleaned out the cabin and removed all water / fuel.

This thing was AWESOME!

This means core (new)…

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Rebuild: 27' BlackfinSportsman

Post by LilRichard »

Here we go again…

Started out by removing a large portion of the cabin interior, including all of the cabinets on the starboard side. My step-daughter was supervising:

The plan is to move the head to that side, similar to its newer cousin, the contender 31:

Demo in progress:

A rat’s nest of wires:

Current console / dash layout:

That’s gotta go!

Stripped:

Mockup of two Garmin 7616s in place:

Off the trailer for adjustments to bunks:

Nice shot demonstrating bow flare and entry:

Topless, and with beginning of seating mockup. Two forward facing seats, two rear, with a livewell under rear seats. Plywood sole is temporary:

Started building a mold for the hardtop (replacing canvas top) using 3 sheets of 4x8 melamine, 2x6s, and 2x4s. This will render a top that is 7’W x 11’L, and ~1.5” in thickness:

1.5” of camber over 7’ wide top:

Getting closer. Mold scribed for front radius, using a 1x2:

Now I need to build my mold "flange" for the sides, and corner radiuses. That will be done this weekend. Layup will be 1708 over Nidacore with wiring chases concealed internally and Coosa in mounting points.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Post by fallguy1000 »

How much did it cost and did it have a salvage title or clean title?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

Clean title. Cost was very reasonable, commensurate with the amount of work needed.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

LilRichard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:13 am Clean title. Cost was very reasonable, commensurate with the amount of work needed.
Care to share the price? I might try a project like this one someday. Even an under over would be cool. Under or over 5k?

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Hey Rick, didn’t realize you were posting here. That console layout would be interesting to me. Can you send a rough sketch/dimensions? I am awful when it comes to a plan for that space. That top and tower look awesome!

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

DAYTRIP wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:44 pm Hey Rick, didn’t realize you were posting here. That console layout would be interesting to me. Can you send a rough sketch/dimensions? I am awful when it comes to a plan for that space. That top and tower look awesome!
Daytrip - just started, this seems like one of the only active boat building communities these days. Posting on THT is like throwing red meat to the wolves... they tear everything apart... and would be nit-picking my shirt color. When I built my Aquasport, "Classic Aquasport" was the place to be. Seems like forums have slowed, possibly due to FB.

I will get you dimensions of the console, sure. I am terrible at it too, that's why I have run through a lot of foam board so far! LOL

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

We used Fusion 360 cad software to do the console iterations for the Skoota.

We did about 15 iterations and realized problems along the way. Even at the end, I decided offsetting the wheel to the main helm seat was not gonna happen.

My kid did the cad work. He originally did it as assemblies; later just shapes.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Hey Richard, first thing is welcome. You have quite the project there. I hope you will keep posting so we can see the entire project. Do I understand you will be converting to outboards? And just wondering what was the cause of the sinking?