Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Post by LilRichard »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:36 pm Hey Richard, first thing is welcome. You have quite the project there. I hope you will keep posting so we can see the entire project. Do I understand you will be converting to outboards? And just wondering what was the cause of the sinking?
Thank you. I will absolutely keep posting here; part of my enjoyment stems from the knowledge exchange during such a project. I have learned more from folks on forums than any other place, period. Assuming this does not break forum rules, the last rebuild I did may be found here:

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=957.0

I was younger and skinnier then, and certainly green. I have figured a few things out now, but still need advice and appreciate feedback as I tackle new challenges.

Yes, boat will be converted to OBs, and will likely look very much like Daytrip's conversion. I had considered purchasing a bracket, but the ~$6k price tag seemed a bit unreasonable. I can weld steel like a champ - and even have a TIG - but I am not proficient enough to weld my own bracket. At the moment I am 90% certain I will go the fiberglass route, including stringer extensions through the hull.

There are conflicting stories over the sinking. One source said a thru-hull failure, while another cited a slow leak and overwhelmed bilge pumps during a few heavy days of rain. I can say that the only way the pumps failed was if the boat wasn't plugged in, because I manually connected them to keep water out once home, and all four pumps run. I am loading some photos of my progress today, will post shortly.

Thanks again for the welcome.

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

Today I cut the radius for the front of the hardtop and got most of the “flange” done (which will create the sides of the hardtop). Here is the front board cut:

Note the rear and side parts of the “flange” attached:

I could not use melamine board for the radius, so I decided to use a few layers of Luan, which will be primed with Duratech and sanded smooth. To make a smooth transition from the melamine to the Luah, I routed out the inside front edge of the melamine to account for the Luan.

I then cut the Luan (to the same finished height) and inserted into the pocket in the melamine. Reliefs were cut where the Luan crosses over the stringers:

The natural curve created by the Luan covered up imperfections in the radius (cut with a jigsaw). I glued the luan to the raw edge of the melamine, and tacked in place with a few crown staples.

That’s it for today, my back was unhappy. Tomorrow I will run one or two more layers of Luan (glued and tacked) for rigidity, then mask off the melamine and roll some Duratech over the Luan. Last, I will radius the corners, and start prepping for layup.

I still need to cut the top section off the old canvas top to make measuring the mounting points easier. I will use Coosa for core in those sections, as well as where I plan to mount rodholders, etc.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Building your own bracket has some risks involved with it. I know the N/As here do not want to get involved as there is too much risk. Hard to control how well the glass work is done. That being said doing it like Daytrip did has a large chance of success, IMHO :wink: I built one that way for a 21 foot Dave Sintis design. It is holding up well and I see nothing to make me worry.
Do I understand you will be building a hard top and using Nidacore? I built one that was 5x8 foot and weighed 57 pounds. Like most things I build it could have been built lighter.
Not to worry lots of us have the older and heavier problem :roll:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Is that a mould or the actual top?

I am a bit confused, but curious.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome and I look forward to your progress!!! Jeff

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 am Building your own bracket has some risks involved with it. I know the N/As here do not want to get involved as there is too much risk. Hard to control how well the glass work is done. That being said doing it like Daytrip did has a large chance of success, IMHO :wink: I built one that way for a 21 foot Dave Sintis design. It is holding up well and I see nothing to make me worry.
Do I understand you will be building a hard top and using Nidacore? I built one that was 5x8 foot and weighed 57 pounds. Like most things I build it could have been built lighter.
Not to worry lots of us have the older and heavier problem :roll:
Understood regarding the bracket, too much liability for most people to risk, especially when advising folks with unknown qualifications.

Yessir, hardtop will be Nidacore. Hoping for ~125lbs assuming 7x11 with Coosa reinforcement in areas, and some aluminum plate imbedded to avoid through bolting some hardware.

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:23 am Is that a mould or the actual top?

That's the mold. Will spray gelcoat into the mold (after liberally waxing), then begin the layup and coring.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

LilRichard wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:06 pm

That's the mold. Will spray gelcoat into the mold (after liberally waxing), then begin the layup and coring.
I wax AND spray the mould. I use pva.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:29 pm
LilRichard wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:06 pm

I wax AND spray the mould. I use pva.
Amen... left that step out.

As described yesterday, I spent today adding another layer of luan, sanding lightly and then rolling Duratech on. I would normally spray the DT, but on such a small job it didn't make sense. Four coats, and then sanded smooth a few hours later. Took a little more sanding because I rolled it, but no big deal.

Between painting and sanding, I headed outside and started removing pieces of the hardtop that I don't need, will load some pictures later.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Looks great.