ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Bet it would be fun to listen in on the pirate tales :wink:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:25 am Thanks cape man, OQ and Tom. :D

Spent today on Great Sandy doing preparatory work for repairing a section of laid decking on the cockpit sole. Skinnydip is earning her keep as a tender.

Was a beautiful day out on the water, with a few of the local pirates dropping by for a yarn. :D
So do you measure how much work was done by the yarn?

More yarns=less work? :D :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

More yarns + less work = pleasant day. :D

I've spent more time today repairing the laid decking on the sole of Great Sandy's cockpit. It involves cycles of filling cracks along the timber planking with epoxy glue applied from a small syringe, sanding off the excess, then repeating.

I've been putting this job since we cruised Great Sandy last year, so it feels good to start getting on top of it. :D

Just remembered a pic from a couple of years ago showing the laid deck cockpit sole.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Finished epoxy filling of cracks in Great Sandy's cockpit sole planks today. If the rain holds off tomorrow, I'll sand off the excess epoxy.

Another great day out on the water. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Take a picture.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:43 am Take a picture.
You're a hard task master cape man. So here is the story, with the first two steps illustrated with pics taken today:

1. 11 out of 13 cockpit sole planks cracked, letting in fresh water and hence conditions for rot, so need filling/sealing with epoxy glue - pic 1
2. Sand off excess epoxy and remove totally failed sections of caulking seams, then cover voids with waterproof blue sealing tape given rain is threatening - pic 2
3. Next up will be replacing failed calking seams (where blue tape is)
4. Next step will be repairing other caulked seams - blow up pics 1 and 2 to see what's involved
5. Next step is to decide how to protect repaired sole - oil, varnish, other, or do nothing and rely on regular saltwater sluicing?

cape man

Post by cape man »

My first thought is oil, but the varnish will protect the epoxy you are squeezing in the cracks. Teak?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:21 am My first thought is oil, but the varnish will protect the epoxy you are squeezing in the cracks. Teak?
Celery Top Pine. Agree it would be nice to oil, but varnish will protect epoxy better. If varnishing, will need to mix non skid beads into final coat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

What about a poly top coat?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

It's taken more time shaping and fitting the #4 starboard plank to plank #3 than has been the case with earlier planking.

This is because there is a greater change of angle between #3 and #4, requiring a rolling bevel on # 3 that tapers down to less then 1/16" on its outer edge. No room for error with the block plane.

I'm using 1/6" plywood for planking in an attempt to build the boat under 40lbs. If I used 1/4" plywood, the outer edge wouldn't need to be as thin, and I could have worked more quickly.

Satisfying work. :D