ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by cape man »

You do good work sir. Hermine, the svelte SC16, is made from 1/6" Okume also. With no glass you should easily hit your 40lb target.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is some pretty work there GB.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man and Tom. Appreciated. :D

Another day, another plank, this time port #4.

Nine down, six to go. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice GB!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff. :D

As I'm over half way through planking Feather Pram, I decided to bite the bullet and check to see if I was getting the planking to aft transom joints precise enough to be able to bright finish (oil or varnish) both planks and transom.

As the pic below reveals, the answer is probably no, unless I can do some deft epoxy removal and tinted fairing compound refilling.

May have to paint the transom, or alternatively the planks and joints.

Time will tell.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Nice work Michael - build on! :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Huge progress!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Still very WOW!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

GB, a really sharp chisel/scraper followed by SOB tool should get it. Just remember to score the surface perpendicular to the surface you are scraping/chiseling to get a clean edge (you are effectively planing the surface a bit). The only problem would be if you have deeper than surface penetration of epoxy into the wood. I think you could cover that easily though with a thin "pseudo calk" line. Is a beaut of a pram so far!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee, Jeff, OQ. :D

Jaysen, I'll try to rescue the plank-transom joint blemishes as per your suggestion. Thanks.

Got back to some boat building today after life getting in the way these past few days.

I cut starboard plank #5 cut a little oversize, then bevelled the outer edge of starboard plank # 4 to receive it. Then starboard plank #5 was fine tuned and glued in.

Wild storm and torrential rain in the early afternoon, has settled down now, so was able to open the door and take a late afternoon pic.