HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HMD 19 - Yoda's legacy continues

Post by Cowbro »

Weekend update:

the roof is gone. I was up on the front deck peeling off fiberglass when I bumped the front corner of the roof and it lifted up off the side panel... ugh. 2 minutes later the whole roof was laying on the ground. I figured it would be easier to just start fresh than to try to re-tab the old roof back on as well as sand the underside and re-fair the topside. 2 sheets of plywood isn't too bad.

I got pretty much all of the remnants of the seat boxes sanded off (sanding disc on the angle grinder) then went over pretty much everything with the DA/60 grit. I am thinking one more good sanding session and it should be ready to start going back together.

I ordered up some simple seat pedestals to mount the seats that came with the boat. i'm thinking i'll glue down some 3/4" plywood as a stiffener to support the pedestal. For the rear of the boat I am really liking the Bote inflatable chairs. I think they'll be a nice option for when i have a full crew onboard. Given the slow speeds of the boat i'm thinking they should work well.

https://www.boteboard.com/products/infl ... 67EALw_wcB

Some pics:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cowbro, nice to see progress being made!!! Jeff

Yoda Jr.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yoda Jr. »

Phil,

It's great to see you modifying this boat to suit your needs. It's also great to see work getting done on it! I can't wait to see where you go with it.

Also, no worries about noting issues with the boat or how it was constructed. As you said, Dad was racing a bit to get it completed and likely took a few short cuts in doing so. Hopefully, nothing that gets in the way of the plans you have for it!

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Awesome Phil,

Glad to see Yoda's boat coming along so good and eventually some of your ideas and sweat is going to be part of her :D

Marc

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Sneak peek!

Weather has been much nicer, no more 100* days. I have been getting about an hour each night to fiddle with it. Hopefully I can start laying down some fillets/glass this weekend.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I like the reverse slanted windows. They are not too common down south but lots of them in this part of the world.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Cowbro!!!! Jeff

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

That is really neat. Great idea.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Love the look of that, great idea.
Alan.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I haven't been posting much, it seems like all of the pictures i take end up looking the same, but I've been working on the boat a little every day. I ran out of daylight today to get a good picture, so this one is a few days old. The new roof is on, filleted, tabbed and glassed on top. The entire outside of the boat has 2 coats of neat epoxy on it. Next step is to give the outside a quick fairing. I am hoping that it won't be too bad as most of the boat was already done once. lol.

We had 95* weather here all weekend, so that helps things along nicely. I know it won't last forever and that our mornings will start dipping down into the 50s, so it will be nice to get most of the epoxy work done soon.

Phil