ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by cape man »

Make sure you take any subsequent pictures from the same location and vantage point. I'm watching the grass grow in the background... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice! How many more planks to go?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 am Make sure you take any subsequent pictures from the same location and vantage point. I'm watching the grass grow in the background... 8)
:lol: :lol:
Fuzz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 pm Nice! How many more planks to go?
Only the #7 planks each side - the sheerstrakes. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

A 6'8" pram dinghy has no right to pass sculptural muster. Most 8' prams can't.

But after shaping and dry fitting the final portside sheer plank this afternoon, and viewing her from all angles, I'm hoping Iain Oughtred's Feather Pram can. :D

Looking forward to shaping and dry fitting the starboard sheer plank tomorrow.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice GB!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff. :D

I got the final plank, the starboard #7 sheer plank, cut and dry fitted this afternoon.

About half the time went on getting the notches in the bow and stern transoms, and the rolling bevel on #6 plank right, and half the time fine tuning plank #7 itself. It's an iterative process.

After 15 planks, I've just about learnt how to do it right. :roll:

My next plywood lapstrake build will be much closer to spot on.

Back to Feather Pram, the next steps are to get the port and starboard #7 sheer strakes glued in. :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

It really looks great!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:02 am It really looks great!
Thanks OQ! :D

It's been unpleasantly hot and dry-gusty here in Noosa today, so I've been fine tuning the sheer-strakes on Feather Pram ..... nothing that requires more than moderate exertion, like a few passes of perhaps a needlessly often sharpened block plane and/or some fine sanding here and there. :wink:

The end result is that the sheer-line of the starboard and portside sheer-strakes are fair-curved and symmetrical within +/- half a bee's dick. I doubt if anybody will notice the difference, but I find it very satisfying knowing it's been done right none the less. :D

I'll get both sheer-strakes glued in this coming week, and post pics.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The only time it is needless sharpening of a plane iron is when you are throwing the iron into the rubbish bin (hit a nail with a fine edged finish and you’ll know what I mean (as well as discover how many offensive word your vocabulary contains)).

Know you did it correctly is more important than anyone acknowledging you did it correctly. Congratulations on achieving a level of craftsmanship that few of us will take the time to attempt.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Pram looks great! Hell it all looks great! I made it through all the 561 pages in the last week or so. What a roller coaster of a story telling ride! I hope to scuba dive the great barrier reef some day and maybe by then I'll be able to see some great oyster beds around Noosa. My wife's going to be so confused on why we need to go see oyster beds in Australia :D All joking aside, so many beautiful places to visit around there.