Vendee Globe 2020

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Vendee Globe 2020

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
For all you sailors sitting at home in Winter weather there is a tip to follow the Vendee Globe race right into January 2021. I will do exactly that because my sailing is restricted to a few Summer day sails.
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en
I think on this link you might have fun.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Vendee Globe 2020

Post by Jaysen »

I'm following Alex Thomson. He's made 300mi already. And he is in 10th place. That's insane.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Thanks for the link!

The GPS tracking has really changed a lot if endurance sports. Between the trackers and sat comms there’s almost no worry of another Donald Crowhurst.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If you want to see extreme instrumentation go to https://alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub and get all kinds of data. It's almost too much. Almost.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Funny, I had just finished reading Nichoas Tomlin's Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, which I spotted in a used bookstore the day after finishing Derek Lundy's Godforsaken Sea. But it didn't even occur to me this was a Vendee Globe year.

Well, that'll keep me occupied from time to time over the next few months.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It is also Golden Globe Race this year too. I think that start is this weekend? You'd think that I'd know that without thinking given the amount of times I've spent on Don's pages since March....

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... I'm an idiot... next GGR is 2022. I have too many *GR in my head.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Look like Alex Thomson/Hugo Boss might be out of podium (my assessment).

https://youtu.be/EJfhOBJAMeU

Carbon fiber hull built super light. Not sure the foilers generate forces in the expected manner.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And fixed... I haven't watched this yet (been fixing the forum ;) ) but the notes are that Alex is back underway.

https://youtu.be/Rnp6EajjomQ

Mrs and I have had a few moments of "how much different is the 580... did Jaysen think this through?" We keep answering "yes" but that's one heck of a thing to think about.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Just found this string. I've been following it a couple of hours a day. I like Alex and hope he's right about the repairs. It looked like awfully serious damage to me and he's got the Southern Ocean to deal with.
Tony