PG25 or GS28

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PG25 or GS28

Post by TomW1 »

cracked_ribs the FAO program was set up by the United Nations and Yamaha as the motor provider to provide small and economically limited Countries a way for there coastal villages a way to build/buy a small offshore fishing boat powered by a small Yamaha motor that would get these boats to there fishing sites. These provided local villages with sustenance and a way to make a living for there village.

Jacques boats are an improvement on those early FAO boats. And his Panga's are as you can see from his motor recommendations are very efficient. A 75 up to 150 is unheard of on most on most normal 25' planning boats. The last one I was on had twin 150's on it if I remember correctly. Very fast as the top speed would be in the 40's as Jacques shows the Panga would be at DWL and a 150HP at wide open throttle. So a 100-115 on Jacques Panga 25 will give you a top speed in the mid 30's at wide open throttle. Most people don't drive there boats at top speed, they will find an efficient cruise speed, this usually occurs around 3000-3400 rpm's with the properly paired motor and allows a cruise speed in the mid-upper 20's.

Good luck with your selection and build Johnston

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Yes, I'm familiar with the program. I have the design somewhere but it's not of sufficient interest to me to have spent much time critically evaluating it.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:36 pm Yes, I'm familiar with the program. I have the design somewhere but it's not of sufficient interest to me to have spent much time critically evaluating it.
I have to laugh at what the Panga design has evolved into. From charter boats in the Latin American countries to full on drug runner boats with 4 300HP motors on 45' boats or longer, capable of speeds in the 70's or higher. Oh well what a versatile boat it is. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Interestingly my neighbours at my island place have a tiny one, identical except in scale to the so-called "Yamaha canoes." It was made by Yamaha in the 1970s, apparently. I commented on it one time because of its unusual appearance, and they told me the age and the manufacturer.

Looks just like your typical 19 or 20 foot Yamaha panga, but it's about 8 feet long. They use it as a dinghy to get back and forth from their big boat to shore. Next time I'm there, I'll take pictures. I have never seen one like it.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

Anyone know what happened to this build?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18587&start=10

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Not sure, it was a well documented build. I did a search of the Coppermine Gallery above and found 6 pages of the boat, but could not find any construction pictures. Use Fonda@kauai and check the Boat block, Owner name when you do the search in Coppermine.

Tom

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Johnston I don't quit. Go to Sashimi-panga22-Kauai in your search in Builders Power Boats. There will be 43 matches, go down to Fonda@kauai and click on his name. This will take you to his Viewing Profile. When you get there then go to the right and click on Most active topic: Sashimi-panga22-Kauai it will be red when you are on it. You will have 53 pages of his PG22 build documented with pictures. Hope this helps. It just takes time to find things sometimes. :D let me know if you have problems.

Regards

Tom

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That is a different build, but a better example.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 am That is a different build, but a better example.
Agreed but a great build of a large Panga.

Tom

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

Thank you TomW - I am starting to see that the difference between build time on these boats comes down not to functionality but looks!