Trailer choice for FS14LS + 10%

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Trailer choice for FS14LS + 10%

Post by VT_Jeff »

I'm having a hard time finding a trailer for my boat and the word on the street that it's not going to get any easier as we get further into the season.

Karavan makes a trailer that I could make work, dealers have them in stock and the price is good, but it would mean raising the bunks up and having the boat on top of the wheels/fenders instead of between. My 68 Century Cheetah was on a trailer the same way and it never really caused an issue but it does feel a little cheesy.

Wondering if anyone else is trailering this way or if there are any strong opinions one way or another about going this route.

Thanks,

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trailer choice for FS14LS + 10%

Post by VT_Jeff »

Ok, so while I was typing that a dealer called me back and said the distributor has a single wide trailer in stock. He took a deposit and supposedly earmarked it for me, so for the moment my dilemma is solved. If this falls through I'd still be interested in opinions if the smaller one would be a reasonable solution or if I should avoid it.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I would try to avoid the Karavan trailer as I am just not convinced it is strong enough!! Just my opinion. Right now there is a 10 week waiting period for the group we use here in Florida (Float-On Corporation). I hope you have had a bit of luck and can get the other trailer!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 am I would try to avoid the Karavan trailer as I am just not convinced it is strong enough!! Just my opinion. Right now there is a 10 week waiting period for the group we use here in Florida (Float-On Corporation). I hope you have had a bit of luck and can get the other trailer!!! Jeff
Let's hope it is!

Both the narrow and the wide are 1250# capacity Karavan trailers. My boat should be less than 500# with motor, and hopefully less than that.

So the capacity should be fine, it would just be narrow...possibly weirdly narrow.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Be patient and get the wider trailer.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Lakesurfer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lakesurfer »

I’m interested in hearing opinions as well as I’m in the process of my own FS14LS build. Not to derail but I’m building the foam version and won’t be trailering more than 10 miles.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Don't know how steep the boat ramps are where you go, but the higher the boat sits on the trailer, the farther into the water you're going to have to go.

I'd vote for the wider trailer, too.
Hank