Texas Flats Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Texas Flats Boat

Post by Jeff »

Nice!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

holy crap! It would take me months to tape in all that framing :help:

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Haha, yeah, I'm mentally preparing myself to just do an hour here and there, and hopefully over the next 6-8 weeks it'll get whittled down. Should be strong when finished!

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Hey Smith looking good, been awhile... you'll be there in no time :lol:

Been there and done all that, strong.... no doubt there. So far I've had mine on the beach front 4 times and through some serious swell and she is super solid and just like a ducks back the water just roles off :D

Finally got the prop right, no blow outs planes instantly and will turn on a dime. I would seriously recommend the strakes i have no slide or skipping at all. I went back and added so I know its a pain but it was well worth it... they don't lessor the draft at all.. if you shower down on it it will blast up in 8" and in reality thats nothing.

In my opinion there is nothing better for these hulls then a power tech flats supper cupped... hands down built for this hull.

I was amazed at how smooth it rides and how well it handles a swell. Good to see your progress

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thanks, Explorer! Great to hear you're so happy with the performance. That's encouraging.

I was very happy with how light the hull was when we flipped it. Started glassing in stringers and frames and it's drinking the epoxy up! Ran out of material in no time and and waiting on another order to come in so we can resume. It's adding a lot of weight, so I'm no longer thinking this will be the light boat I hoped it would be. With that said, it feels extremely strong.

Will post pics again one of these days, but might be another month or so. The big trout have moved into winter pattern down here. Instead of working on new boat, we'll be out in the LM in search of the elusive trophy.

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Short update and a couple motor questions:

Called to put my name on list at the trailer manufacturer I used last time and they're already booked 2 months out. Was glad I called when I did. It got me to wondering if lead time on motors is the same. Called around and was told it varies quiet a bit. Guessing I should start looking into it more seriously if there is a 2-3 month lead time on that as I hope to finish this sometime in early summer.

Still glassing in the framing when I have time. She's really putting on the pounds. This uses more material than I anticipated. Becoming very strong through.

I mentioned earlier that I have never really been happy with the graphite bottom on the LM. It's not bad, but it's not as durable as I'd like (and we hit the bottom often while fishing back lakes). One of you mentioned gator glide (thanks again for that tip). I talked myself out of it and went with epoxy-graphite again. After looking at it for over a month now, I just cannot get happy with it. Going to give the gator glide a try. Not looking forward to flipping again, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Back to the motor question - Jacques, several have recommended 150-175 range. Can this boat handle that? As a reminder, I followed the XF22 layup (standard version, not HD) After lots of asking around over the last several months, I'm coming around to the idea that a 150-175 would be appropriate if we hoped for a cruising speed of 30-35 MPH with 4 people on board. Planning to use the triple cupped prop that comes so highly recommended by folks here, but that also hurts performance. Between the prop and the tunnel, it seems a little more HP would be good to achieve the desired cruising speed.

All I have ever owned has been two strokes and am a little surprised at how heavy the 4 strokes are. Many are in the 500 lb range. So much for the goal of keeping this rig light.

Do you think short shaft motor would be the correct choice for this style of boat? I like the idea of keeping the motor as high above the water as possible but wasn't sure if that was not needed here.

Any/all advice from the group is always much appreciated. Hope everyone is doing well.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi wwsmith after reading through the study plans, you are building a nice flats boat. From your pics you are building the sides to the top of the sole, reducing weight. Jacques lists the hull weight at 600lbs. You will be a little under that since you are not building the sides higher. As far as speeds go my calculators show that a 115 will give you top speeds in the upper 30's with 3000lbs at WOT. As far as the need for the triple cup I would not worry about it. Get a jack plate so you can raise your motor up to take the benefit of the tunnel and a good 4 blade prop. I can help you with that. If you really want a triple cup I can help you with that also. A triple cup just reduces pitch by 3" from a regular pitch. A 20' shaft is fine no need to go to a 25" one.

Many of the original XF20's found that a 75 was plenty of power, some used the triple cup some didn't. I would be very leery of going to a 150HP do to the added weight. That is over 100lbs added weight. So since it is 12' behind the LCG you need to add an equivalent weight forward of LCG. 12*100=1200lbs is the amount needed in any form you want, 200lbs 3' forward is 600lbs. or put it all in the bow 100lbs 12' forward and your equal.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

A Yamaha 115 Vmax SHO weighs 380 lbs! :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BarraMan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 am A Yamaha 115 Vmax SHO weighs 380 lbs! :D
Yep and the 150HP an other 100lbs. :D :D :D
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

wwsmith I forgot to mention in my calculations your top speed will only move up from the upper 30's to the lower mid 40's in other words about 5mph going from the 115 to the 150 HP motor with a flat bottom boat I don't know if that is meaningful and one that I would want to use the gas for.

I did not talk about how to take advantage of the tunnel in my main post. Coming out of the tunnel a wave forms 6-8 inches behind the transom and this is where you want your prop to be in. So you want a 6-8" set back jack plate that you can raise your prop to be in this wave. This should be either electrical or hydraulic.

Tom