Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks cape man. One “method” of wiring that seems excessively popular here is running on large ground wire to a buss bar in the bow, and on aft. Then run individual V+ lines to switch panel and a short line to ground bus. I’m not sure I like that idea as it seems messier and requires more connections. I will be adding a lot of fuses based on last nights troubleshooting of power issues.

Fuzz, I would say “great minds think alike” since I prefer the duplex idea but now that cape man agrees too, I’m not sure he wants to be stuck in a category with us! I would also add that our duplex preference is actually cheaper as the cost of wire is much lower than the cost of those dang busses. Especially when you consider the my lingers possible “not up the mast” run is 29’.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

This is wonderful news Jaysen! Perfect size to discover what the two of you want on a cruising sailboat, and what you can live without. Enjoy! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

What's currently in the space under the cockpit sole where an inboard would be installed? Has there been one in there at some stage?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:58 am What's currently in the space under the cockpit sole where an inboard would be installed? Has there been one in there at some stage?
The "void" (that's what I'm calling the sad place where once an Atomic 4 resided) currently houses two improperly mounted house batteries and chargers. There is also a large external fuel tank for the outboard in there. If only the blower motor was hooked up and the venting opened to vacate the petrol fumes. That massive safety issue was easily fixed by opening all the hatches and closing the vent on the fuel cap. I kind of feel like I save the boat (and maybe some people) from a bad situation by buying her.

Ideally I would put in a 48-96v electric motor connected to the existing drivetrain. I need to remove the batts and see what is still present. All I can see is the water muffler. All the raw water intakes and such are still there and easily resurrect-able. I would have room to store a neighbor hater (portable gen) and lots of fuel (25-30 gal) making it a viable solution for long distance motor cruising. Right now she has a bracket hung Merc 4 short shaft for power. That needs to be replace with something long shaft in the 6hp range. I'm open to offers on the Merc :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I’m not sure he wants to be stuck in a category with us!
I fear we have been categorized together for quite some time already... :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

If you go the serial hybrid electric motor-genset route, will you install the genset in the 'void', or haul it up to the deck or cockpit as required?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My preference would be in the void with remote start. My cheap skate nature would then eviscerate that plan by balking at the price and purchasing a unit that would need to moved topside to start.

Hands (as GB noticed, this is actually HONDA) makes some sweet neighbor haters that don’t hate the neighbors (very quiet) and the cost for electric start is not terrible. If I can muster that willpower to spend the extra scratch for hybrid, one of those Hondas would make it dang near perfect.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Happy for you !! Congrats

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 am My preference would be in the void with remote start. My cheap skate nature would then eviscerate that plan by balking at the price and purchasing a unit that would need to moved topside to start.

Hands makes some sweet neighbor haters that don’t hate the neighbors (very quiet) and the cost for electric start is not terrible. If I can muster that willpower to spend the extra scratch for hybrid, one of those Hondas would make it dang near perfect.
I've been pondering this the past few days. Then bingo. Hands = Honda courtesy spell check. Correct?

If so, I agree a Honda genset properly installed, cooled and vented in the void as part of a serial hybrid would be the ducks nuts. I hope you come to love your Helms sufficiently to invest in going this route.

Besides you've got the knowledge and skills to set up the battery-electric motor-Honda genset-systemn controller system in a way that you could take it with you to your next boat (you're young enough, there will be a next one, or two, or? ... :wink: )

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

glossieblack wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 am I've been pondering this the past few days. Then bingo. Hands = Honda courtesy spell check. Correct?

If so, I agree a Honda genset properly installed, cooled and vented in the void as part of a serial hybrid would be the ducks nuts. I hope you come to love your Helms sufficiently to invest in going this route.

Besides you've got the knowledge and skills to set up the battery-electric motor-Honda genset-systemn controller system in a way that you could take it with you to your next boat (you're young enough, there will be a next one, or two, or? ... :wink: )
Sigh. Yes. It is supposed to be Honda. I've fixed the original.

The biggest value to the on board Honda would be that it would be recoverable cost when other sources would become available. It would also provide house power for any large draw needs with not docked (plan is to vacate the dock in 1-2yr in favor of a ball). Effectively, a 5gal Jerry can would power us for a couple days/weeks of real use depending on sun and wind.

We are 50/50 on there being a boat after this. Regretfully we aren't aging as gracefully as you and Mrs GB. The Helms (we still don't have an agreed name for her yet) is big enough for some nearshore and extended trips. We might even think about a Caribbean run out of Miami or the keys. It is small enough that there is no question about me being able to single hand her ... ever. As much as I would love a 35' hull right now, this little girls meets all the requirements while making it possible for the Mrs and I to both be on the boat. It's been hard to find anything that would allow the Mrs could be comfortable. I feel exceptionally lucky.
Bogieman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:32 pm Happy for you !! Congrats
Thanks boogie! now you just need to get down here and we to some travel camping. You will have the draft advantage... by a lot. I'm pulling 5' now. Boooo!