Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Post by fallguy1000 »

Some 1943 versions of Motorboat I got from Jacques have a 36' boat design called Ox. The July issue kicks it off and the October issue ends it. I have fir sure August and October and fortunately offsets and construction are in the August issue. I may have the other issues.

Ox is considered a workboat with a keel and inboard power. The October issue shows a cruising layout.

If anyone is interested in more, I can start a different thread; it just seemed like there might be some interested or perhaps JM has the lines for this boat.

I have no option for a picture.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

One problem with a large boat boat design is how many people can Jacques sell plan,s to . Finishing the TW32 design for a foam build method might be the most practical , as it was almost completed , and put,s it in the top end of build range for most of his costumer base . As for as a new design , either a design in the TT35 range , or one Jacques want,s to design , retirement should be doing what you enjoy doing , and want to do , maybe the motor sailor .

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I bought Atkins River Belle plans just to play with an idea of a electric inboard version and i would have to say the plans are pretty disappointing. I honestly think she aught to be selling them for less as some of the reproduction details from scanning are missing like where a line starts. and there is almost no information. also mistakes on the offset table that he corrects in a different book, seems she should be including that correction in the sale.

also, Atkins was of the opinion that leave the comforts of home at home so even if an interior was detailed no way it would remotely meet spouse approval. So while they are interesting to look at no way i would buy another set of atkins plans.
rick berrey wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:27 pm Atkins has two boats , Naiad 28'1" and Nanuk lll 28'7" that if scaled 10% would put them closer to Gerr,s 34' design , both the Atkins being sea bright skiff hull,s . There are a lot of unknowns with the Atkins designs , disp. being just one . I mentioned Atkins Seal in a post , other than lower hp and a different look it brings nothing to the table that the TW28 is not already offering . One boat we have not mentioned is the Fl26 , +10% would give a go lite Loop boat for short hop,s , or low end of the camper concept . An outboard option for the TW28 might be something to consider . For me we are now looking at two different boats , one being a TT35 style that can be towed , lighter disp , shallow draft , short cruises , or camping style cruises , the other being for long cruises . If we are looking at a long cruise boat then I think we should pay less attention to disp and beam , towing option should be gone , 12 mph dropped to 10 mph , a TW33/34 with a 3' or less draft .

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Many of Atkins designs in the 30 + or - range would have to have their interior,s redesigned to be functional , may be people were shorter and tougher back then . I wouldn't try and build either the Naiad or Nanuk lll because of that , not even factoring in quality of plans . But that being said If you compare Naiad,s hull to Gerr,s DR Northwester Cruisers hull , the DR Northwester is about 20% longer with about the same beam , but looks to be close to the same radius seabright hull design from what I can tell . Nanuk lll has a tunnel hull , and the Noble Cab at 34' designed by Atkins looks to be her bigger version , no plans for sale . Both the DR Northwester and Noble Cab would work for a Loop boat except DR Northwester for speed requirement in the Gulf . If you look at hp in the DR Northwester ( 46 ) and hp in Naiad (52 ) , DR Northwester is designed to cruise at displacement speed whereas Naiad is not . If both hulls are the same basic design then I think more hp would push a DR to our 12 mph requirement in the gulf . Noble Cab had some reported problems in sucking air into the tunnel in some sea conditions , I would think it would be a better option for the Key,s while a DR Northwester would be a better fit in the upper gulf coast areas .

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I ran across another Atkins sea bright skiff design " Two Brothers " which is in line with the other two that are in the 28' range . The plans are shown in Motor Boating Magazine 1952 , Vol 90 #5 Nov. 1952 . Those plans can be seen on a post in Boat Design .net by Angelique , in sailboat design March 21, 2019 . The hull dimension,s are about the same as the other two .
L 28'9"
LW 26'6"
Beam 8'8"
Draft 1'9"
Power 12 hp
speed 11 mph
The two main differences I see when compared to the other two 28' sea bright skiff designs is Two Brothers is a sailboat , and power requirements . As for the hull design , if stretched in length only it is in our size range and could maybe be towed . It has a speed of 11 mph and would be close to our 12 mph goal if stretched and a little more power added . It has a 1'9" draft , a great Florida boat , or anywhere else with shallow water cruising . It can take a mast not only for looks and get home power , but also for an option for a second power source . And the boat hull has already been designed , just needs to be stretched , and build methods be converted to modern materials . I am not sure if the use of the plans would need to involve Mrs. Atkins , but I don't think anyone would mind paying her a fee for the use .

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

rick berrey wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:04 am I ran across another Atkins sea bright skiff design " Two Brothers " which is in line with the other two that are in the 28' range . The plans are shown in Motor Boating Magazine 1952 , Vol 90 #5 Nov. 1952 . Those plans can be seen on a post in Boat Design .net by Angelique , in sailboat design March 21, 2019 . The hull dimension,s are about the same as the other two .
L 28'9"
LW 26'6"
Beam 8'8"
Draft 1'9"
Power 12 hp
speed 11 mph
The two main differences I see when compared to the other two 28' sea bright skiff designs is Two Brothers is a sailboat , and power requirements . As for the hull design , if stretched in length only it is in our size range and could maybe be towed . It has a speed of 11 mph and would be close to our 12 mph goal if stretched and a little more power added . It has a 1'9" draft , a great Florida boat , or anywhere else with shallow water cruising . It can take a mast not only for looks and get home power , but also for an option for a second power source . And the boat hull has already been designed , just needs to be stretched , and build methods be converted to modern materials . I am not sure if the use of the plans would need to involve Mrs. Atkins , but I don't think anyone would mind paying her a fee for the use .

I have the magazine from Merten's old
Collection!

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Fallguy1000 , I don't know how to post the picture on the forum , maybe you could show the lines of Two Brothers . Also someone on a forum came up with a disp of 6100 for Two brothers .

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

rick berrey wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:21 pm Fallguy1000 , I don't know how to post the picture on the forum , maybe you could show the lines of Two Brothers . Also someone on a forum came up with a disp of 6100 for Two brothers .
I snapped pics of all of the pages. I think I need to do it in a damned gallery.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Album?

app.php/gallery/album/80

Pretty small. If anyone wants a copy; not sure if it matters anymore or if public domain..

Hull is strip planked, I believe with 3/4" material..
Last edited by Jaysen on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image post for FG1K

Pat4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pat4 »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:13 pm Yes, that's the one. The hull was extended and the sheer raised.
I will redesign from scratch but aim for about the same dimensions.

I still like the Seabright hull very much but I am certain that more builders will buy plans for a more traditional hull shape like the DE series.
The DE hulls are almost full planing hulls. There is a little bit of twist, the buttocks are not entirely parallel.
I may design a semi-planing hull but builders almost always put excessive HP on it. Result, the boat trims down by the stern with too much HP but in the DE's I planned for that. I knew that builders would not stick to my specs and use more HP. To prevent squatting, I drew a bottom that is almost dihedral. The result is just as expected: even with crazy HP, the boat runs well. It's not as good in very bad weather but that was the compromise.
I plan to work on the looks too: pinch the sides in at the stern, only above the DWL, redo the sheer, more camber in the pilothouse, maybe a round transom since the well gives me freedom there.
First, I'll work on the volumes needed to fulfill the program, wrap a hull around that, work the ratios and when ready, I will post some drawings.
I'm very curious Jacques !!
And how about adding a few inches in width?