Insuring old boats -- not with Geico

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Insuring old boats -- not with Geico

Post by Jaysen »

Geico îs no longer willing to ensure boats that are more than 39yr old. If your title shows a manufacture date of 40yr they will refuse to write policy. That's a bit of a testicular kick for affordable sailing.

That said, anyone have an "old boat" that is ensured? If so, who is the policy writer?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Insuring old boats -- not with Geico

Post by VT_Jeff »

My 83 c&c is with progressive. Do you have to insure it or is it a preference? I tend to insure everything but am starting to question that wisdom lately.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

See if you can get ahold of Heritage in Conneticut.

When I have time, I will look for their contact info. They are a broker. Be warned.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:30 pm My 83 c&c is with progressive. Do you have to insure it or is it a preference? I tend to insure everything but am starting to question that wisdom lately.
Marina and environmental requirements (for some areas we want to go). There are some local horror stories of boats on anchor getting pulled into oysters that result in couple hundred thousand environmental fees (state and fed).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 pm See if you can get ahold of Heritage in Conneticut.

When I have time, I will look for their contact info. They are a broker. Be warned.
I appreciate that.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Take a look at Hagerty Marine Insurance. I have a 1943 woodie and a 1963 Boston Whaler that they're delighted to insure. For a fee, of course. The company specializes in "classic and antique" boats. I don't know how they define "classic and antique", but it's probably worth an inquiry.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hagerty is the go to for the old car world. I’ll have to look them up. Thanks for the reminder.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I would also try Progressive!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Progressive will issue a policy on line!

Need to call them though.
1. Liability limit too low to meet marina requirements.
2. Excludes “named storms”.
3. Has lots of stuff already covered or not applicable.

Off the site it looks like $650/yr. The PO policy from Geico was $238/yr. Seems like old boat economy is going rot take a hit in the coming years.