Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Browndog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 am Looks Great! I used a similar process to recess the hinges on the FS 19 I built. Really makes a difference on the finished boat. Remember to account for the thickness of the epoxy, primer and paint coats, other wise the hinges will end up being a bit proud of the surface.
Thanks. I gave the depth pin 1/2 a dial up after setting it to the hinge depth for the epoxy etc, it's a gamble but they should end up pretty flush.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Nice job Jeff. The consistency is worth every moment of fiddling. I like the OG Makita too!

The next step is to save the jig “for next time” and put it on a shelf for 10 years. ( what happens in my garage)

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Nice work. People can use this thread as a hinge mortising tutorial almost.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:14 am Nice job Jeff. The consistency is worth every moment of fiddling. I like the OG Makita too!

The next step is to save the jig “for next time” and put it on a shelf for 10 years. ( what happens in my garage)
:lol:

The OG Makita is on modified duty, it's close to being a pensioner! Got it in '91 to install audio/video systems in SoCal tract homes in a very former life.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 am Nice work. People can use this thread as a hinge mortising tutorial almost.
Appreciate that Dan! I did finally go back and fix the photo order.

This morning I over-drilled all the screw holes and started filling, I didn't dam some up well enough so there will need to be a Part II on that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Starting to think about the cockpit trim inside radius puzzle. I played with a few different ideas with little success. My chief technical advisor, Dan S, wisely recommended trying laid up veneers instead of cutting or bending the 3 inch radius. To that end I ordered the veneers that Dan found for me and started making the Male and female molds for the layup. I used a super simple radius jig on the bandsaw to make the molds out of pt plywood stacked up with hot glue.
Attachments
20210309_075820.jpg
20210309_074954.jpg
20210309_081346.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

This is the simple radius jig used to make the Male and female forms.

The two holes are the pivot points for the single piece being cut into the two mold halves.
20210310_095032.jpg
The distance between the edges(not centers) of the holes = the thickness of the final layup, in this case 1/4".

The distance from the outside of the blade to the center of the outside hole = outside radius of the trim piece I need, in this case 3"

I did not really account for the blade thickness properly but I suspect my margin of error is at least as large so not going to sweat it.

My piece was scrounged scrap and none too pretty but it should work just fine, or at least it should not account for total failure, that will be due to something else.
20210310_100050.jpg
Last edited by VT_Jeff on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Jeff! This is beautiful! I can’t wait to see the veneer sandwich!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm Jeff! This is beautiful! I can’t wait to see the veneer sandwich!
Thanks. The veneer showed up today and looks great. Expensive shipping but very fast. It may be at least a few days or more before I get back to playing with that stuff, though I'm chomping at the bit to. Thanks again for the direction on this! Fingers crossed it all comes together but it's just gravy so no stress.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Shoot, Man. Glad to have something constructive to share.

How thick is the mold?