Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by Jeff »

FD, beautiful boat!!!! Please send me some photos once you have her motor and in the water!! I will use her for the main photo on the website!! Again, great job!!!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Will do.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I may have made a huge mistake. Fixable but a pain. The motorwell bottom is only 3.5" deep from the motorwell to top of transom. The dealer is concerned along with me that the steering cylinder may hit the motorwell bottom when you tilt the motor. If I can't tilt the motor enough to get the prop out of the water, then I may have to cut the motorwell bottom out and lower it. Would a jack plate work? There's one that only has a 4" offset from transom. Not sure if that would affect cog by that much as I do have the fuel tank up front and the console a little forward. A jack plate would be useful. Hopefully I have enough tilt and I want have to do anything. Will know in a day or two. If I can get the prop above the bottom of the boat, I think I'll be happy with it. The boat will be on a lift and I'll never sell it..the Suzuki motor also has a tilt trim setting to limit the travel.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Take a 50lb sack of sand and set it in the splash well. If the boat still looks and runs good then a 4 inch set back will not hurt you. Are you thinking of a manual set back or a hydraulic one?

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Hydraulic. The whole system weighs 23 pounds. I like the idea of having a jack plate. The motor can be raised and if need the motor could be fully tilted. Also run in shallower water.

The boat is rated for 50 to 70. I have the lightest 60 on the market. A suzuki 70 weighs 343 pounds while the 60 weighs 229 pounds.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

A 4" setback jack plate with a 5-6" lift should be fine. Doing the math 4" or .333ft x 226.lbs is 75.33lbs that you need to move forward of the LCG and it sounds like you have already done that with the gas tank and console.

Remember since you don't have a tunnel you won't be able to raise it to far when on the water under power. The set back will help a little.

Good luck.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

FluidDynamic I am pulling my hair out right now. I went back and checked your numbers in my prop calcs and found I made a mistake. The prop you need is a 11.75 x 14 or a 12.25 x13. I am so sorry hope you have not bought a prop yet. I would probably go with the 11.75 x 14.

Again I don't usually don't make a mistake like this. So since you have the Suzuki you have a good long break in time to see what you need.

Again sorry I didn't catch this sooner, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I have not ordered prop yet. No problem. Thanks fir your help. They will swop them out anyway.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Good news. The motor is mounted and I have full tilt trim. They are still doing some wiring, but everything's looking good for Friday. The stainless prop is on backorder, but I may just put an aluminum on for now so I can start breaking the motor in.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 pm Good news. The motor is mounted and I have full tilt trim. They are still doing some wiring, but everything's looking good for Friday. The stainless prop is on backorder, but I may just put an aluminum on for now so I can start breaking the motor in.
High level of stoke!