Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

Ok. 1200mi round trip, 2d of cleaning and troubleshooting and some hairy moments of the Mrs not being sure the motor wasn’t going for a deep swim. Now we have a 9.9 2st pushing her around. Hoping to get full off the dock with pictures in the next couple day.

Until then I’m back to dreaming about sailing the open water.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 pm Ok. 1200mi round trip, 2d of cleaning and troubleshooting and some hairy moments of the Mrs not being sure the motor wasn’t going for a deep swim. Now we have a 9.9 2st pushing her around. Hoping to get full off the dock with pictures in the next couple day.

Until then I’m back to dreaming about sailing the open water.
Another big step in the right direction. Sailing is 90% boredom and 10% terror. You'll be bored/terrified in no time at all!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wait. There’s supposed to be boredom? I only recall fear, terror and projectile vomiting. Not typically in that order.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:19 pm Wait. There’s supposed to be boredom? I only recall fear, terror and projectile vomiting. Not typically in that order.
Mmmmmm, you may be doing it wrongly. Try much, much less canvas and report back.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:19 pm Wait. There’s supposed to be boredom? I only recall fear, terror and projectile vomiting. Not typically in that order.
Mmmmmm, you may be doing it wrongly. Try much, much less canvas and report back.
I don’t know if I can do that! I mean the sails are still in the bags!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:59 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 pm
I don’t know if I can do that! I mean the sails are still in the bags!

Hmmm. I'd say try staying at the dock but you've got that wired already.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I seem to recall he don't like semi cool water with a few baby lumps :P

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:29 pm I seem to recall he don't like semi cool water with a few baby lumps :P
:lol:

Those FL types are accustomed to sailing in postcard conditions. Must be rough! I mean Flat!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am
Fuzz wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:29 pm I seem to recall he don't like semi cool water with a few baby lumps :P
:lol:

Those FL types are accustomed to sailing in postcard conditions. Must be rough! I mean Flat!
1. Fuzz’s idea of semi cold is forking cold cold.

2. Baby lumps don’t make the boat next to you vanish.

That said, I prefer bath water temps with a 15kn wind with a 1’ sea. I won’t lie. If I can’t have that I’ll take 25kn and 12’ seas. No room to compromise on the temp though.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Oh, god. You can have 12 footers. I cut out at about 10 footers, and even then find little pleasure. I won't go out if the waves are over 5.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495