Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 am Oh, god. You can have 12 footers. I cut out at about 10 footers, and even then find little pleasure. I won't go out if the waves are over 5.
There’s a story behind that.

When I was first racing J30 I did ok on calm water but still greened a bit. We had an overnight from Charleston to Hilton Head that was predicted calm. When we turned the jetty we were confronted with 25kn and 12’ seas. I held my pie hole closed and touched out a couple hours until dark. All the hard core crew members were below deck puking. Three of us were green but functional. Eventually I knew I was done and asked the captain “where do you want the dead weight?” He looked at me funny so I repeated the “rules”
1. Puke over the side
2. Aim for distance.
3. Stay out of the way.

He pointed stern and windward. I grabbed three sail ties, sat my ass on the rail and repeated the rules as I tied myself head outward to the rail.

Next morning they commented that
1. Jaysen makes a great backrest.
2. Even when I can’t stand up I can still trim, reef and steer.
3. No one else ever yelled “this is great!” with more enthusiasm while puking up breakfast from three days ago.

I’m always sick offshore the first day. Never had a problem the second day. Never had a third to to see how that turns out.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I was out in 10 footers on a really big boat and about 1:3rd of the pax were hurlin. I was on the bow spotting gray whales blowin.

There was one guy up there with me. He was mad that I said we weren't gonna boat a fish. The captain drove all day and stopped about 2 times. What a waste that trip was...an hour of rockfishing would have at least made it worth it.

When we departed that guy glared at me the entire time. Like it was my fault for calling it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

There are ten footers and then there are ten footers. 10 in deep water is no big deal but 10 in shallow is a whole different animal. Same goes for boats. 10 in a 12 foot boat and 10 in a 50 foot boat is two totally different deals.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:29 pm There are ten footers and then there are ten footers. 10 in deep water is no big deal but 10 in shallow is a whole different animal. Same goes for boats. 10 in a 12 foot boat and 10 in a 50 foot boat is two totally different deals.
Yup. For sure. I was on 80x20 and about 1/3rd of pax went down in 10 footers. It felt like a roller coaster ride to me.

I was in 6 footers in a 16 footer with a wine hangover and laid on the deck in pure misery. Fell asleep and woke up feeling fine.

I was worried Jaysen was planning to set sail under 12' wave conditions in this 24 footer and wondered if he had one too many rums.

'A wise man once said a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor. '

If you are ever bored, read Richard Woods helicopter rescue story and loss of his Eclipse.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I wouldn’t do it on purpose but I would do it.

I’m not that smart!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:28 am I was in 6 footers in a 16 footer with a wine hangover and laid on the deck in pure misery. Fell asleep and woke up feeling fine.
Laying on the deck of a 16 footer is misery already, never mind the wine hangover and 6 footers.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:28 am I was in 6 footers in a 16 footer with a wine hangover and laid on the deck in pure misery. Fell asleep and woke up feeling fine.
Laying on the deck of a 16 footer is misery already, never mind the wine hangover and 6 footers.
Not to steal from this great thread, but I was nearly in a fetal position. It was a memorable day and went up to Skookimchuk Narrows, harvested oysters, caught some rockfish, saw orange and purple starfish...hung out with my bride.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 pm
Not to steal from this great thread, but I was nearly in a fetal position.
Yes, just by simple math!

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 pm It was a memorable day and went up to Skookimchuk Narrows, harvested oysters, caught some rockfish, saw orange and purple starfish...hung out with my bride.
Wait, did someone say Skook? Have you met my bride?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8tP8FmKDM
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Not to steal from this great thread.....
I like to think of it more as "Party at Jaysens today, he's buyin!"

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:00 pm
Not to steal from this great thread.....
I like to think of it more as "Party at Jaysens today, he's buyin!"
Yep. I’m good with that.