1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

Regards the sand idea you could just put a layer of sand where the hull meets the stringer. After the foam sets it would be easy to wash the sand out.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I added 5 layers of 1700 to the transom. I wrapped it over the top and up the hull sides 10,8,6,4,2. I made the transom braces out of 1.5 inch coosa. I also wrapped them with three layers of 1700. I glued them in and have them tabbed to the transom and the hull. I still need to tab them to the stringer and bulkhead.

I am going to box them in and run my rigging out of that box. I also thought about having both of my bilge pumps pump out through the transom inside that box. I am also going to have a hole in the transom for the live well drain. Will those holes on either side of where the engine mounts effect my strength at all? I'm planning on drilling them close to those braces

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The work looks great. I am wondering how you plan to finish the top edges of the supports is all.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have a few different ideas on how to finish them but it’s going to depend on how much room I have with the engine mounted. After I get the floor in I plan on hanging the jack plate and engine to make a final decision on that

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Also, what are y’all’s opinion on spray rails. I’ve never ran anything with them and I’m not very familiar with them. The boat was mighty wet before. I was wondering if I could make spray rails out of the leftover coosa I have to help with that

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mr Pamlico wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:20 pm Also, what are y’all’s opinion on spray rails. I’ve never ran anything with them and I’m not very familiar with them. The boat was mighty wet before. I was wondering if I could make spray rails out of the leftover coosa I have to help with that
All the work ur doin and u wanna wet ride?

Make some splashers!

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:57 pm
Mr Pamlico wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:20 pm Also, what are y’all’s opinion on spray rails. I’ve never ran anything with them and I’m not very familiar with them. The boat was mighty wet before. I was wondering if I could make spray rails out of the leftover coosa I have to help with that
All the work ur doin and u wanna wet ride?

Make some splashers!
That’s what I was thinking. I’ve come this far so I might as well. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go do some research or a good thread on how to build them, mounting etc.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

After a good stare session I’m wondering if I could make them out of 3 layers of 3/4 coosa strips. For example I could cut one inch strips of coosa so the rail would be 1x 2 1/4. Not sure what the normal dimensions are for spray rails. Screw and glue the first piece on. Then screw and glue the following pieces on to the previous piece. I will just need to figure out exactly where to mount them on the hull to benefit the most. Also if I can just stack them straight out or if I should stagger and then sand to have them angled back down towards the water.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mr Pamlico wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:37 pm After a good stare session I’m wondering if I could make them out of 3 layers of 3/4 coosa strips. For example I could cut one inch strips of coosa so the rail would be 1x 2 1/4. Not sure what the normal dimensions are for spray rails. Screw and glue the first piece on. Then screw and glue the following pieces on to the previous piece. I will just need to figure out exactly where to mount them on the hull to benefit the most. Also if I can just stack them straight out or if I should stagger and then sand to have them angled back down towards the water.
I think Fuzz is your guy on the splash rails. But my Lund aluminum skiff has about 1.3" out and is a u channel bottom. Never worked real well.

If you have 3/4 inch coosa, if you rip 45s, you ought to be able to use almost all of the rips if you are careful