Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by Fuzz »

X2 :D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

my fs17 was made from a large blob of wood flour thickened epoxy and sanded down to boat shape.... It seems to float ok :)

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom, Fuzz, and Narfi - Thank you! I'm off on some unexpected travel but will resume the build in about a week. I'll post a few pics to show progress - Marshall

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Tom - You mention 2-3 layers of tape. Is that the normal amount or am I increasing to that number because of the issue I described?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, take a piece of plastic and tape it across the margin. Shipping or other tapes bond to the epoxy and are a b to remove.

If you make a super thick mix; it might not sag out, but a plastic liner insures it.

The glass tape layers are just to meet the specs in the build notes.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I've always used what I've called "packing tape", sold in the box stores in 2' width with red red dispenser. Never had epoxy stick to it :doh:

Dougster

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

MarshallTX wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:35 pm Tom - You mention 2-3 layers of tape. Is that the normal amount or am I increasing to that number because of the issue I described?
Marshall,
Make sure to follow the lamination schedule that Jacques has laid out in the plans.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.85 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
As others have mentioned, and we have previously discussed, once the panels are stitched together get under the hull and run some tape (I use blue painters tape) on the seams. This will stop any fillet from dripping through the other side thus saving you a lot of time sanding once you flip your hull.

As TomW1 mentioned, don't sweat small gaps (1/4" or less). These can be filled with fillet with no problem. Be concerned with the overall shape of the hull, as we discussed the other day.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

MarshallTX wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:35 pm Tom - You mention 2-3 layers of tape. Is that the normal amount or am I increasing to that number because of the issue I described?
No 2 over lapping layers are normal, maybe 3 on larger boats. See Reid's response above and this should be in your plans.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Bow Stitch

Post by MarshallTX »

I'm struggling a bit to get a good shape and spacing as I stitch the bow. When I use a small piece of PVC, I have good luck with shape and spacing but that then interferes with the bow-mold. Omitting the PVC creates bad shape/spacing but does not interfere with the bow-mold. Any suggestions or ideas?
Attachments
BowStitch2.jpg
BowStitch2.jpg (111.32 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
BowStitch1.jpg
BowStitch1.jpg (131.47 KiB) Viewed 1269 times

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Try smaller diameter dowel, maybe even a pencil. Move PVC or dowel as far astern as possible. Maybe do away with dowel and just use a nail or whatever to prevent gap. Something will work.

Dougster