gf16 foredeck

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
neophytom
New Poster
New Poster

gf16 foredeck

Post by neophytom »

progress is slow but as i get into it confidence builds. i should be gluing the midframes tomorrow but i am concerned with front frame - it is as deep as the width of the side panels so the foredeck sitting on the frame will be higher than the gunwhales - is this correct?
Tom

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: gf16 foredeck

Post by Dougster »

Doesn't sound right if I'm visualizing your description correctly. How about a picture before you start gluing things in?

Dougster

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Yeah...send a picture before you glue anything. That frame most likely serves as a mold while building the hull, and meant to be pulled and cut to height before you glue and tab it in. You definitely don't want a deck higher then the gunwales!

Here's a picture of my OD 18 before I pulled the molds and cut them down to size.

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Double check your measurements. That frame is not specifically a mold and not meant to be pulled and cut to height (a bit of trimming but that's it). The top of the frame and the foredeck should be even with the top of the rubrail/shear. It extends level to the bow and you should have several inches from the top of the bow down to the foredeck.

https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... play_media

Edit: Here's a link to Noles GF 16. Scroll down and you'll see a great picture of what it is supposed to look like:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58331&start=50
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yes check the plans, it should be entirely with in the boat as shown in the Study Plans. I went with the builder of the first picture there over 5 miles into the Gulf of Mexico on it. He had a Mercury 25HP 25" shaft motor on it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

neophytom
New Poster
New Poster

Post by neophytom »

thank you to everyone who offered advice and the links. especially the links they were helpful, no, inspirational. i thought perhaps i had put too much putty on the fore transom so i attacked it with a thin disk on an angle grinder. now it is all glued and i think looks acceptable. i shall still have to trim the bottom of the frame (someone said you can do that). That part is frustrating as, when laying out the side panels, i checked the measurements many times - the centre frames are a little less than the side panels. send pictures they said - it has taken me a year to figure out how to use this forum hopefully a picture will appear when i have it finished
Tom

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

neophytom wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 pm thank you to everyone who offered advice and the links. especially the links they were helpful, no, inspirational. i thought perhaps i had put too much putty on the fore transom so i attacked it with a thin disk on an angle grinder. now it is all glued and i think looks acceptable. i shall still have to trim the bottom of the frame (someone said you can do that). That part is frustrating as, when laying out the side panels, i checked the measurements many times - the centre frames are a little less than the side panels. send pictures they said - it has taken me a year to figure out how to use this forum hopefully a picture will appear when i have it finished
Tom
You should only have to sand the corners of the frames to take away some wood to allow for the epoxy and tape you put to glue the sides to the bottom.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978