GV10 build and introduction

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GV10 build and introduction

Post by Reid »

I would agree with Fuzz. No need to thin our MarinEpoxy.
You will see a lot of different things on YouTube. Some builders, who are using a variety of different Epoxies, like to thin the first coat of epoxy in order to get it to "soak" into the wood better. You also see this a lot with the first coat of a varnish job. However, I have never had an issue with MarinEpoxy soaking in or creating a good bond to any core material. Simply ensure that the core is prepped properly (sanded, cleaned, and wiped down with a solvent) prior to applying your epoxy.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Thinning resin might work well enough to get by (or not), but if you're looking to get the performance that it's designed for, don't thin epoxy! That old school advice was aimed at old school building methods, not composite hulls. If you want it thinner, buy thinner epoxy (I think the Silver Tip sold here is a bit thinner), or warm it up so it runs thinner, but adding solvents to resin will result in a weaker end product, especially important when laminating the hull panels. This building method depends on the strength of the glass more than a wood boat covered in fiberglass, the plywood (or foam) is a core; to stray from the design by adding alcohol to your epoxy . . I wouldn't do it in an important location.
Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Grandbassslayer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 am I was just tossing out ideas for when you do large areas. It would still be a 2:1 mix, then add the alcohol, he said it evaporates out after it’s later out. I dunno the channel is called “tips from a shipwrights” and he looks like an old school do it the right way kinda guy. Just curious if that was normal or not.

Thanks
Heavily debated topic. This article gives a pretty good synopsis of the pros and cons.

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/th ... tem-epoxy/

I don't thin with solvents, I warm it up if needed and use slow hardener.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Please don't thin epoxy. It's designed to work correctly out of the bottle.

"Some guy on Youtube" is not a expert.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I had see that episode of tips from a shipwright where he did that. I thought it was interesting, but unnecessary. He is sponsored by totalboat and I would assume he talked to them about it as he mentions talking to some people about it before hand. I think this is one of those times where someone can be good at so many things(freehanding curves through an open tablesaw throat with no kickback 😳) but not have all the details right in other ways. that boat is a plank on frame anyway, so the strength of the fiberglass isn’t a critical component.

The hard part is you don’t know if it affects your epoxy unless you do some tests and prove it doesn’t. Not worth it for a small one off boat in my opinion.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:44 pm
"Some guy on Youtube" is not a expert.
I think Louis Sauzedde actually is an expert, who also happens to be on YouTube. But I agree in principle, lotta guys on youtube saying a lotta stuff that may or may not be accurate.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Grandbassslayer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grandbassslayer »

The gentlemen I was watching is definitely an expert. tips from a shipwright is his channel. I am good without thinning, just thought it was an interesting observation and wanted to hear from the experienced folks on this site.
Thanks
Scott