Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by fallguy1000 »

If a bear chases a moose or three through the woods, does it make any sound?

Despite sounding like a smartass, I am ever so curious. Bears hissing really creep me out, for the record.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This cow gave birth to the two calfs right here close to me and they have been hanging around ever since. The calfs are last years so they are pretty big now. At night I will go out on my raised back deck to smoke, It was dark but I could hear them in the woods close to me but not see them. That is a pretty normal deal here for me. Then the cow started to bellow as loud as I have ever heard followed by the running excitement.
The only light at the time was moonlight so I did not get a real good look at the bear. It was moving pretty good but not making enough noise to be heard over the moose. It is pretty rare to see a bear here. This was the first one in a long time. Moose on the other hand are almost a daily thing.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dang Fuzz that must have been exciting. The closest I have been to one is a black bear wandered up on my concrete patio about 7' away and I posted a picture on here several years ago. Lot to love living in the wilds. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am If a bear chases a moose or three through the woods, does it make any sound?

Despite sounding like a smartass, I am ever so curious. Bears hissing really creep me out, for the record.
This one was not making enough noise to be heard over the moose. Not sure about bears hissing but having them woof at you and pop their teeth will get your attention. And if they have enough foam around their mouth to look like a ice cream bowl you know they are not happy with you.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm Dang Fuzz that must have been exciting. The closest I have been to one is a black bear wandered up on my concrete patio about 7' away and I posted a picture on here several years ago. Lot to love living in the wilds. :D

Tom
I had a job for a couple of years over across the Inlet from here. Pretty remote area. The black bear population got out of control and they were every where you looked. They got to be a real pest. Pretty soon they wiped out all the moose and then the smaller game was next. That left the brown bears nothing to eat so the black bears became the browns food until they about wiped them out. After that the game animals returned. Mother nature is amazing and has here way of controlling things.
We would have a lot more moose here but too many get killed each year by cars. They have road signs posting moose kills for the year in this area. Pretty common for the number to get up over three hundred.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:48 pm Dang Fuzz that must have been exciting. The closest I have been to one is a black bear wandered up on my concrete patio about 7' away and I posted a picture on here several years ago. Lot to love living in the wilds. :D

Tom
I had a job for a couple of years over across the Inlet from here. Pretty remote area. The black bear population got out of control and they were every where you looked. They got to be a real pest. Pretty soon they wiped out all the moose and then the smaller game was next. That left the brown bears nothing to eat so the black bears became the browns food until they about wiped them out. After that the game animals returned. Mother nature is amazing and has here way of controlling things.
We would have a lot more moose here but too many get killed each year by cars. They have road signs posting moose kills for the year in this area. Pretty common for the number to get up over three hundred.
I saw a moose car kill once after. The entire windshield had caved in and the moose was skinned by the top of the car. Our population here is wolf impacted.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:18 pm

Tom
Yes mother nature does. I live on the edge of the Great Smokys National Park. A few years ago they reintroduced elk back into the park as they were native to it. Now the herd has grown tp over 700 as there only predator are black bears. We no longer have mountain lions, so they are expanding exponentially. They are now talking about a limited hunting season for them. They are beautiful animals but are starting to expand outside the park, to farmers farm land.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

When I was salmon fishing the Kichatna R in Alaska in 2012, my guide told me that Fish and Game, or whatever they are called, had told him to shoot every black bear he saw because they were devastating the moose and elk population by preying on calves. He said they would have declared open season on brown bears too but feared the backlash so confined it to the black bears. As I understood it, income from moose and elk hunters was big business.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well I got most of my honey do's and pre snow tasks done so was able to get back on the boat this afternoon. Going to take a while to get all the leaves out of the hull. I swear every leaf in 500 yards ended up in the boat. Nothing picture worthy, lots of cleaning in my future.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

better get the leaf rake out :lol:
Fuzz wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 am Well I got most of my honey do's and pre snow tasks done so was able to get back on the boat this afternoon. Going to take a while to get all the leaves out of the hull. I swear every leaf in 500 yards ended up in the boat. Nothing picture worthy, lots of cleaning in my future.