C17 Flip

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17 Flip

Post by rezab »

Hi all, thanks for all the good advice earlier on with the trailer. We've bought one, and are aiming to flip the boat this Sunday. I'm starting to come up with a proper plan, but would love to hear any tips you all have.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 Flip

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I was worried about this but it was a piece of cake and over in minutes. I prepped the day before removing most of the frames etc. Then invited a few coworkers over. Two to take the weight off the boat while I went under with a drill and removed the few remaining screws holding the boat up. Then we lifted it up and walked forwards out of the tunnel house. Flipped it over in seconds onto a couple of mats on some bushes and then walked it back setting it on a couple of beams I'd laid down. The hull shell weighed no more than 100kg I reckon.

If your cradle is top notch you can remove the stringers and frames for this. Or tab them in with small bits of epoxy to keep the hull in shape. Then you can leave them in place for the flip and after the flip take your time reinforcing the cradle/trailer support before glassing. When you remove the internal structure you will need to have the hull well supported so it keeps shape while you glass it.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Yep just like Dan said. I am betting this will be a bunch of worry over a non event :D

rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rezab »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:45 pm I was worried about this but it was a piece of cake and over in minutes. I prepped the day before removing most of the frames etc. Then invited a few coworkers over. Two to take the weight off the boat while I went under with a drill and removed the few remaining screws holding the boat up. Then we lifted it up and walked forwards out of the tunnel house. Flipped it over in seconds onto a couple of mats on some bushes and then walked it back setting it on a couple of beams I'd laid down. The hull shell weighed no more than 100kg I reckon.

If your cradle is top notch you can remove the stringers and frames for this. Or tab them in with small bits of epoxy to keep the hull in shape. Then you can leave them in place for the flip and after the flip take your time reinforcing the cradle/trailer support before glassing. When you remove the internal structure you will need to have the hull well supported so it keeps shape while you glass it.

I'm putting it on a trailer, so I've gone ahead and tabbed in the frames with some fiberglass tape. When flipping it, did you put one gunnel on the ground and then flipped over that, or did you have another method? That's how I've done it on my sailboat, and how I've seen others do on YouTube, but putting the weight of the boat on the gunnel makes me a bit worried about the hull getting squished if that makes any sense.

Fuzz wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:08 pm Yep just like Dan said. I am betting this will be a bunch of worry over a non event :D
Definitely a bunch of worry :-?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I had the rubrail on. Drop on the side and just pushed it over. The bush cushioned the fall. With the rubrail that side is about 10 times stiffer, and a lot stronger. If you don't then I would suggest that you put that side down on a soft surface and be careful not to put too much weight on it.

I wouldn't bother tabbing in the frames unless you plan to glass the inside around and between the frames and stringers. Although I did it that way myself and I am happy with how it turned out, I would not recommend it in general. Unlikely your trailer provides enough support by itself so you will need to do something to keep the hull from going out of true.

rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rezab »

Hi all,

Thank you for the encouragement. Despite all the worrying, it all went well, and the boat is now comfortably resting on a trailer, right ways up.
IMG_0710.JPG

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is a really nice looking hull :!:
Glad the flip went well for you. It is always nice to get that in back of you.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Yes for me it's when it becomes a boat, rather than a hull.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Looks Great!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree, she looks great!! Glad the flip went well!! Jeff