TW28 Scantlings

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: TW28 Scantlings

Post by rick berrey »

Rum runner , my concern would be , " will the water line change if you scale the beam ? " . From water line up I would think you could keep measurements consistent with the original design . You might be able to drop your cabin sole an inch or two to get a little more head room if you scale the beam .

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Up to you. I'd do both. It is a multi-year project. Make it a hair bigger if you can afford it.

Slips for longer sometimes wider boats cost more. Wider boats may result in problems permitting for road travel.

Build cost per foot for a trawler will come in around $3000/ft , so 3' extra is about 10 grand in costs. A lot of people will say I'm full of it, but I'm not. Even your fuel tanks can grow...

But 10% beam and length is fine. A longer boat same beam will do better on fuel economy a tad. A larger boat all directions will be poorer fuel economy.

As for the waterline, for certain hulls; this would be a big deal, but the waterline will be largely unaffected, certainly not beyond a 3" typical overpainting of the bottom paints above dwl. The boat will weigh more AND displace more...close to a wash...

Be careful extending the drawings.

But this boat is all below water. It doesn't have exits and baselines to consider that I can see.

Jacques - any reason to not add to beam here? He wants to I believe, but looking for your permission.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jacques in most cases prefers that both length and beam be increased when a boat is enlarged. This means setting down with the plans and multiplying every measurement on the plans by 10% for the hull.

Hopefully he will see this and give us his thoughts.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978