Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by cape man »

Kitty litter will soak up some of it...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am Kitty litter will soak up some of it...
I will get a bag to help clean up the shop floor from all the crap that has run out the bilge drain.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:49 am For now I will skip the methods involving fire but I am sure I will think of it many times during this project :lol:
Thanks to piperdown I found some Zep and gave it a try. It did a pretty good job for a first pass. One more shot and I think I will be able to work in the area without looking like a total grease monkey.
Glad you found the Zep. Hands down one of the best degreaser's I've used (well, except for some old stuff that's not on the market anymore).
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well the white crap has arrived and stuck so the outside chores are pretty much done till spring.
I have been able to spend part of the past two days cleaning and trying to pull this thing apart. Where it is glass it is thick and tough as expected. And where it is wood most of the time it is rotten and easy to deal with. The stringers under the engine and back in the stern looked to be bare wood and I thought they would be soft and rotten.
This is a chunk I cut out of a stringer to look at because things are not making sense. The material is about 1.75 inch wide with a skin of 1/8 wood glassed to it. It has been in the bilge, exposed to the elements for 40 years and is hard as a rock. There were a dozen carriage bolts run through it under the engine and no rot in any of them :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It has to be some type of synthetic like coosa. Hard to tell from the photo. Could it be molded glass that has extra poly in it? Hard to see the unknown material in the pic.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Looks like wood to me. I see super tight grains.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

could be one of the tropical hardwoods, some of those are closer to aluminum than wood for hardness

could be composite decking too

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks guys.
The boat was built in 1982 in Washington state. Being that old we can rule out all the new composites I think.
Maybe back then top quality wood was still available in that area? My first though was some form of oak but I would have thought it would be rotten by now. I am no wood expert and just trying to figure out what I am dealing with. Dan you may be right, most likely are, about it being wood but it is damn hard and dense.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

oaks are all ring porous woods, so you would be able to see the pores in the end grain. it looks way dark for oak. Tropical hardwoods have been being imported to washington state since way before that date. Also, sometimes ships made in South American get cut up in boat building areas for other stuff. Could also have been fire treated someway, modifying the natural properties.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Remember guys there are boats built of white oak that were launched 100- 200 years ago still afloat in museums here on the east coast. I don't know what they made boats from on the west coast but cyprus is a long lived wood that they might have used.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978