Shortened LM18

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Shortened LM18

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:06 pm
jonnymac wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 pm
pee wee wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm . . . and there's a good example of why the metric system is better for scaling boat plans! Get the metric plans (some plans come with both systems of measurement), it's much easier to work with. 2.7 meters x 1.1 is easier to figure (less likely to make an error) than feet, twelfths of a foot (inches) and eights, quarters or halves of an inch. Buy a metric tape measure and you'll be set. 8)
I agree, but some people can’t make the shift. Even with metric I would still use a spread sheet to calculate the dimensions. I would put every dimension in a column, formula that applied the change in a second. Its faster than by hand and less error prone.
Agreed. Working in metric has clear advantages when scaling, but for me, I was not going to make that shift to a metric tape measure etc. Which is why I did the pre-work to calculate/scale every measurement on the plans and then build in inches and feet. A day or so of work with the plans and a spreadsheet was a lot easier than months of adjusting to metric.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

NaplesEuroTech728
New Poster
New Poster

Post by NaplesEuroTech728 »

I'm glad I reached out to all of you guys before i pulled the trigger!!

Metric measurement isn't an issue for me at all. Im a BMW and Mercedes technician by trade and have been since I was 18 so my brain already works in metric.

I think I'm going to head the route of scaling up the FS14LS and be extremely happy with that choice

I can't wait to get the plans together, scaled, and give yall a build thread!

Thanks everyone,
Alexa

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

NaplesEuroTech728 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:32 pm I'm glad I reached out to all of you guys before i pulled the trigger!!

Metric measurement isn't an issue for me at all. Im a BMW and Mercedes technician by trade and have been since I was 18.....

Thanks everyone,
Alexa
Sweet! I just happen to have a 2011 mb sprinter rv that I may have an occasional question on, so we can do some serious info swapping!

Great to see another fs14ls in the works. Looking forward to your build!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

NaplesEuroTech728
New Poster
New Poster

Post by NaplesEuroTech728 »

Jeff,
Of course! If she's a diesel i have plenty of hands on with the OM642 drivetrain and have a good friend that's a "sprinter only" guy, just holler!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Glad you have decided on the FS14LS scaled by 10%, just buy the metric plans and you are all set with your experience. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978