Happy Thanksgiving!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by BB Sig »

Just wanted to drop a line..

Happy Thanksgiving!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by TomW1 »

+1 May you enjoy the day with family and friends. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I made the turkey a day ahead. Cooked a smaller bird today. I really liked this way versus trying to carve a 300 degree bird.

Hope u all have a happy Thanksgiving..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

falllguy been smoking turkeys for 20+ years now. Use a Weber kettle at 325 with cherry or apple wood and take the bird off when the thigh is 165 and breast 160. Let rest for 45-60 minutes with a foil tent. It is still hot. and very tender. The smoke adds a wonderful flavor. I have automatedb my Weber with a Fireboard system that maintains the temps in it and has a total of 6 proabes to measure temps in the meat or the temp in the grill. It has a fan to maintain temp and air on the coals. My 15lb bird today today took 3.45hrs. I use it for brisket, hams, bacon and smoked salmon and what ever else I want to smoke.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Happy thanksgiving to all as well.

Once the kids left the Mrs and I shifted to chicken quarters. No need for months of turkey. My method is a Dutch oven. Bottom up layers: onion, red potatoes, yams, chicken, garlic cloves, some chipotle powder, salt, pepper, a sprinkling of brown sugar. I cook it on a wood/leaf fire as we take some time to do my wife’s favorite thing… rake the yard. About 60min in the chicken is done so we break for lunch.

It’s a bit nostalgic to the family camping trips. It keeps the kitchen mess small (one pot). We can add sides the that Mrs makes days in advance if she wants (this year I made greens for her). If we get invited over to someone’s place I just add more chicken.

This year was nice as the daughter and brought our future son in law and his father down for the day. Lots of chicken. They weee skeptical when we said “y’all get to do some yard work” but by the end of dinner they all said “dang dad! That was amazingly fun!”

Mrs only cried constantly after. Happy tears.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.