Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

West marine uses “may” so I think that’s the key… https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... ight-Rules

Here’s a simple tri+anchor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778RXZRT/re ... SY3HGJD6YN

I don’t have my links to the one that had fore and aft Pointed downward illumination. That would mimic the current lighting (fore/aft mid mast) but make it one long wiring run vs 2 separate runs.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The tri-color from west marine displays running lights and anchor light and can be used on sailboats less than 20 meters. That's typical, and what I had, except mine also had a strobe for emergencies.
The tri-color cannot be legally displayed in conjunction with a steaming light, because that would result in red over white or green over white, which gives the wrong message. The steaming light has to be above red or green; so the tri-color is shut off when steaming and replaced by deck running lights and the steaming light is turned on. The arc of the steaming light is the same as the red and green combined. [Confusingly, in the rules, the steaming light is called the "masthead light" even though it isn't on the top of the mast on sailboats.] You really don't need a tri-color unless you're going offshore. There are three main reasons for it: 1) It increases the distance from which it can be seen over the curvature of the earth. 2) It uses less amps than three lights so preserves the battery. 3) You only have one bulb to fail.
The steaming light is mounted about 1/2 way up the mast, and some models also incorporate a deck light to illuminate the deck, which does something similar to spreader lights. These are rarely needed but I had them. The reason you don't want to use them is that it ruins your night vision while they're on and a little while after. If you have to go forward in the dark I find it's better to have a headlight; but if your eyes are adjusted even that isn't normally needed.
Tony

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here are the USCG Regs llsted by Boat US. https://www.boatingmag.com/navlightregs/

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

One sentence is a little vague there. "The white stern light must cover 135 degrees and be visible for 2 nautical miles, or you can substitute one 360-degree all-around white light." This is in addition to sidelights, not in lieu of them, unless you're under 7 meters, approximately 23 feet, and don't exceed 7 knots. I'd certainly not do that on a sailboat; in my experience it applies mostly to tenders. For some reason, even experienced sailors are sometimes seen running only their anchor light at night, which is not only illegal but dangerous. Still pretty common, which doesn't excuse it. Lights tell other mariners what you are and where you're going relative to them. This determines your status as stand-on or give-way. So you really don't want to give the other guy a puzzle.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm planning to wire traditional bow/stern LED nav to mast head LED nav and just call it good. I do need to relocate my stern light as, to me, it is blocked by pushpins and ladder by more than 50% of its visible spread. Also planning to put them on one switch as nothing seems to indicate that it's an either/or situation. Considering that I will be offshore at times (in areas high speed areas with less than experienced pilots), I think having something that can be seen over the horizon isn't a bad idea. While everything lists "2nm visibility" my unaided eyeball can see standard lights at about 4mi at night. It gets "twinkly" but I think that is due to wave action moving the boats. I figure putting those lights 36' above the water won't make me less visible :)

On the spreader/steaming light... I'm not sure what I want to do. I have an in mast system now. I'll probably look to revive that first. I don't like bright lights on the boat at all. I do know that we've needed them in snotty weather with lines that get messed up in bad spin retrieval. I can see needed them for similar situations or even anchor deployment. I'm all for head lamps and plan to do that. I figure that I might as well just work on getting that I have working and then figure out what I actually one to use later. Worst case I have full spreader sun for back up.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Sounds good.
What is "full spreader sun?"
You have an anchor light at the top of the mast?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Full spreader sun is the stupid bright presser light I’m planning to put in. Need it on the dock more than anything but could see it at anchor. I will probably wire them in stages to allow “dimming”.

I have something up there but it isnt working. I’m planing to do the 2 purpose masthead with 2 switches wired (anchor, nav) for independent operation.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

"Presser" light?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That’s my phone’s interpretation of “spreader”.

Most days I hate technology. The other days I loath it.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Whatcha mean? I wouldn't know you without it.
Tony