Non skid turning my oyster white beige

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Non skid turning my oyster white beige

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah yeah yeah. Boat.

If you sprinkle you need to roll another layer on it. Otherwise you have the grit co wrong the paint.

As to clumps… too much grit. Did that too. Stir the hull an a bit to suspend the grit and the clumps should go away. Also don’t load the roller too much.

I had the BEST success putting the grit in primer. Problem is that now I can’t repaint with out removing primer.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:33 pm I slipped with a wrench and my kopfer clipped the top of the transom. It made a bad sound. Hope I am not concussed.

647DABA8-E739-41D6-AD01-0A4C2B8BDB94.jpeg
It's not a bad look on you.

Hope you stop seeing stars soon.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Want to close the loop on this and ensure that the bbc non-skid grit isn't getting undeserved bad press. I re-did a lot of my non-skid with the same material and it came out great. No color issues. Still not sure what was happening last time around, maybe it was over-thinned.

Here's a lesson I learned: dont use $50/quart topside paint for the multiple under-coats. The grit sucks up paint at an alarming rate, gets expensive very fast!

The deck in the photo still needs a finish coat with oyster white. The pure white non-skid really pops as-is but it's a bit loud and makes the borders look overly yellow, or else I'd be tempted to leave it.
Attachments
20211205_131128.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie