Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

Hole-y cow, that's a lotta drilling! What size hole-saw do you need for the hatch lock recesses?

Here's a random question: are you going to be able to close your anchor locker with a line coming out of it, like if you're anchoring in shallow water and most of the rode will be in the locker? I ended up moving my hinges to one side because of that concern, interested to see if you managed it some other way. I'm thinking you may be able to run it out of the drain maybe?

On your hinge recesses, it looks like you cut through the deck glass, is that right? That's what I did. Seaslug cut the recesses first and then pressed the deck glass into the recesses, I wasn't that organized. But it did present a small challenge for me getting those recesses rounded over, interested to see how that goes for you.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:20 am Hole-y cow, that's a lotta drilling! What size hole-saw do you need for the hatch lock recesses?

Here's a random question: are you going to be able to close your anchor locker with a line coming out of it, like if you're anchoring in shallow water and most of the rode will be in the locker? I ended up moving my hinges to one side because of that concern, interested to see if you managed it some other way. I'm thinking you may be able to run it out of the drain maybe?

On your hinge recesses, it looks like you cut through the deck glass, is that right? That's what I did. Seaslug cut the recesses first and then pressed the deck glass into the recesses, I wasn't that organized. But it did present a small challenge for me getting those recesses rounded over, interested to see how that goes for you.

I actually realized I need at least one more hole. Gonna put in a mounting provision for a forward casting platform turnbuckle. I may not use it, but I'll have one in case I do.

The OD on the flange of the latch is about 2-3/8. I have a 2-1/2 that would work, but I just convinced myself I would rather them sticking up than have an overly large recess. The flange has a complete 45deg chamfer around it as well so it would look even bigger because there's not even a full diameter thickness that I could recess and only have the chamfered portion stick above the surface. It'll be fine...the one that will be most in the way, the big fore hatch, I'm planning to seadek anyway so that will recess it for the most part.

Good question on the anchor line. I have noticed some hatches with a notch for the line to come out and a side hinge like what you did. I decided not to complicate that. My best answer is we will see. I hope to not have to anchor much with a power pole and spot lock trolling motor. Worst case I run it in the gutter and pile the extra in the cockpit area.

Yeah I saw seaslugs method of glassing into the recesses and said...nah I'm good. I didn't see an advantage to that. I cut them out after glassing and they just got epoxied with the rest of the overcoat I did and then they'll get primer and paint with the rest of the deck. As far as rounding, I just broke the edge with some sandpaper to clean up the fiberglass frays that the router didn't get cleanly.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

For what it's worth, I also decided to not recess my deck latch flanges. They aren't very thick and I decided it would be cleaner to leave them proud. I felt a recess would have needed to be slightly larger to accommodate epoxy, primer and paint buildup, which is guesswork that may have ended up worse than just leaving it be. I envisioned making it slightly too large and having a leftover space that would hold water and eventually fill up with crud. On the other hand, I did recess for my hinges, which are cast and are quite thick. However, I did not glass the recesses for the same guesswork reasons above - only this time for thickness. No anchor rode "notch" for me. I like nothing about anchors and only carry one only for safety. It's all spot-lock and anchor pin for me.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I need to up my anchor game, I'm in the dark ages!

I was too cheap to spring for the hatch locks and I now have some hatch warping, so it was probably a bad place to save money.

Anyway, deck is looking great Cameron, keep up the excellent work!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:38 am I need to up my anchor game, I'm in the dark ages!

I was too cheap to spring for the hatch locks and I now have some hatch warping, so it was probably a bad place to save money.

That's what Christmas is for!

How did the lack of hatch locks contribute to warping? I'm not following that one.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:06 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:38 am I need to up my anchor game, I'm in the dark ages!

That's what Christmas is for!

How did the lack of hatch locks contribute to warping? I'm not following that one.
I think if they were held down by the locks they'd be less prone to warping. As it is they are free to "move" as they wish. I did have an idea for some poor-mans locks but never implemented. The wraping isn't too bad, yet.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I happen to have some extra cam locks (3 I think) if you're interested. They're the "MxEol" if you want to look them up on amazon.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:19 pm I happen to have some extra cam locks (3 I think) if you're interested. They're the "MxEol" if you want to look them up on amazon.
Hmmm, that's pretty compelling! I would need 6 total, 2 each for the long hatches, so that would get me halfway there.....!

Are you guys over-drilling, filling and re-drilling or just drilling and sealing?

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

For the latches, just drilling, 2 coats of epoxy, 2 coats of primer; 2-3 coats of paint and then the latch itself will get bedded in 3M 4000 UV. Seems like enough for me.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:38 pm For the latches, just drilling, 2 coats of epoxy, 2 coats of primer; 2-3 coats of paint and then the latch itself will get bedded in 3M 4000 UV. Seems like enough for me.
Agreed, that sounds fine.

I think I'm gonna bite, I'll hit you on the other line.