Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 am That concrete… that is the killer of local boat restoration dreams. Not sure when it was popular but a concrete keel seems to send boats straight to the scrap pile down here. I applaud your level of insanity. I’m happy to watch from a safe distance.
I am not too sure if I had known what I was getting into I would have.
Just so you know Jaysen I am still open to offers from those who would like to have some of this fun :D

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I’d start to question weather you “need” all of it out, but either way. Its coming along and I can’t wait to see the next step.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I would say there is indication of a problem there… not sure it is with the boat though.

You know I would hop up there and take a stab at that thing with you. Problem is that there are only 2 weeks a year I can survive up there. 😀
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Again, wow Fuzz!!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz, I'm really enjoying the twists and turns of your intriguing wooden boat rescue. And I'm enjoying the suspense of not knowing what re-purposed boat you're building towards. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:53 am Fuzz, I'm really enjoying the twists and turns of your intriguing wooden boat rescue. And I'm enjoying the suspense of not knowing what re-purposed boat you're building towards. :wink:
It is good to hear from you and to know you are back at home all safe and sound.
This is not a wood boat. It is a solid glass hull built in the early 80's as a Bristol Bay gillnetter. The plan is to rebuild it as a sport fishing boat that we are able to take longer trips on. The ongoing keel work is so I can set the engine back and not have it in the middle of the cabin.
I do not want a yacht. I want a rough and ready boat that can be used with no fear of little bumps and bruises or getting it dirty. One thing that makes this worth while is I have many of the needed parts laying around. I just need this old body to hold up and allow it to happen.
Well off to plow some more snow and the chip some concrete.

cape man

Post by cape man »

20180813_120602.jpg
How long to get the concrete out with my help?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sorry CapeMan but you might have missed your chance to chip some concrete. I got to thinking about what johnnyman said about needing to get it all out and decided 90% is good enough. Almost impossible to reach down to the keel bottom and get the last little bit out :help: I have plenty of room to get the new shaft log in and that was the point of this little task.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I have a concern. And it isn’t about the silliness of living in such inhospitable climates….

If you don’t replace the concrete with something else, will the keel have sufficient structural integrity?

I’m thinking the concrete is kind of like a core. It adds support to the outer skins.

What’s the plan?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Fair question Jaysen. Most glass boats I have seen have hollow keels. In some cases they will be filled with something but that is not normal. If the glass is thick enough no filler is needed. In this case the keel was filled only in the back third and hollow for the rest of the way. The glass runs from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick. I am sure that is more than enough to provide all the strength needed. Best I can figure is there was 300-400 pounds of concrete in the keel. I am not sure why, maybe for trim or it was just an easy and fast way to seal the shaft log? I do know that with larger boats it was common to float the boat and then fill with concrete as needed for trim and to get the hull down on its lines.