Lost my mind

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lost my mind

Post by fallguy1000 »

They put concrete to make it indelible against ice or rocks or logs.

Cheap ballast as well, like you said. But brings me back to wonder how you will ballast.

with your talent; you may want to consider a ballast tank, where you can pump water in to help make the ride better and out to deal with freezing weather...easier now then later

If you want a nice fishing cockpit; the tendency for you to be heavy forward might happen; so aft tanks might make sense...of course, I am speculating on all of it

Sticking my neck out for you. Please don't chop it off. Dan

remember how the Bertram rebuilders have to build heavy...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am sure there will be some balance issues to work out. I feel removing 3-400 pounds from the keel is more than offset by the removal of all the fishing equipment. But I am moving 2000# of engine and gear back about 4 foot and have to plan for that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Man Fuzz you are going to have a lot of Center of Gravity calculations to make. I would start a spread sheet for every thing you move and remove from what you can guestimate the current CoG is. Just moving your 2000lb engine and gear back 4' affects CoG by 8000lbs, somethkng you have to adjust for some way.

Regards and good luck, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

As built all the weight was in the front and rear thirds with the middle empty to be able to hold fish. The stern had two 150 gallon fuel tanks and on deck above that was the net reel and gear. The bow held the engine, people and all the gear for living on the boat. With all that weight forward the boat did not pick the nose up much when running. The only one I was around that picked the bow up and ran pretty good had the engine moved back some. I do not want to retain the old balance but I am not sure how much change I really want. I guess it will be a case of best guess???

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm with Tom some.

Maybe some estimates of all the weights.

You could even back into moments with a spreadsheet.

But I would build a tank in the front and a tank in the back for ballasting based on what you have said. Yeah, I know it is pumps and stuff to buy, but it'd be so nice to dial her in. Not sure if you cut away the entire fish hold, but it might be the roght home for a single tank.

Years ago, I bought a 22' Chris Craft Sedan Cruiser from a guy. He said he was coming back in 6 footers one day and the boat got super squirrely. He opened the bilge and flooded 6" of water into it and the boat ran slow, but like a dream. I almost didn't want to tell you because in Alaska, opening the boat to the sea is a major no-no. But I trust your wisdom enough. The boat got burned...sadly. It was beautiful douglas fir and not mahogany and they jist don't have the value..

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Pulled the boat outside so I could do some shop clean up. Turned out I did that just in time to get it filled with a couple feet of snow. When I do get it back inside it will have to melt for a couple of days before I can mess with it. :roll:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

We got 17" last nite, but that is unusual for us.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

We only average around 5 foot a year so 2 foot in one dump is not normal. Just south of here Homer Alaska is getting dumped on. Back to back 4 foot dumps. Between here and there is some 1000 foot higher ground that has well over 10 foot and building. The snowmachine crowd is having a great winter.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The rivers will run hard with the spring melt. What does that do for fishing?

We still have not had any snow for 44 years.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

the good news with that much snow in the boat the concrete dust is going to wash out of the boat. 🤣