Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm making the doors outta wood and okume.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

In our shop this year we’ve had more success than failure butt jointing solid wood together at the end grain using thickened epoxy. Thixo was particularly appropriate. Long clamping time obviously, but maybe used along with a few pockets screws, you could get some good results.

Jonnymac is spot on about the pilot holes but diameter needs to be per spec.

Merry Christmas, btw. Hope you’re staying warm!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:25 pm I'm making the doors outta wood and okume.
You can always use the starboard for cutting boards if you have big enough pieces still.

Who knows, you may like using wood so much you just varnish them!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Good looking pocket screw joinery is harder than people make it sound. you need a clamp to pull the pieces together, kreg makes one. Right Angle Clamp 5-in Right Angle Clamp Handscrew Clamp https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kreg-Right-Ang ... 1000105661 this might not be the right size, you might need bigger. Definately use a drill vs an impact. I would drive the screw in stages, meaning drive it forward a little, then back it up then forward a little

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jonnymac I have been using Kreg systems for years. Yes you need when drilling the pilot hole depending on the wood have to stop and back out the drill, but not the screw. Buy the screws from Kreg which have square heads and are available in a number of metals. Man I have been using Kreg clamps for 20 years building cabinets and other theings you can't beat there systiem for joining two sets of boards.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I can try clamping them better today.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I’m not talking about the hole the pocket hole drill makes when i say pilot hole. Plastic requires all the material where the screw shaft goes through to be removed, unlike wood. Wood has space inside it where it can compress the extra material. plastic is 100% full so it expands outward when you put a screw in it. so after drilling the pocket hole, you would then run a thin drill bit to the depth the screw will go to remove that extra material.

working with plastic is different than wood, so the techniques may be similar but different
TomW1 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:41 pm jonnymac I have been using Kreg systems for years. Yes you need when drilling the pilot hole depending on the wood have to stop and back out the drill, but not the screw. Buy the screws from Kreg which have square heads and are available in a number of metals. Man I have been using Kreg clamps for 20 years building cabinets and other theings you can't beat there systiem for joining two sets of boards.

Tom

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yeah. The trouble with plastic is compressibility, or the lack thereof.

I'm sort of at a don't gaf on it all at this point.

The panels are all screwed onto the cabinet guts, so if I decide to change to wood someday; it is ez.

Look close; you can even see the screw deform the stuff where it goes in.
0B56EBDF-24E9-4E9D-8ADC-24A9EC896A25.jpeg
E8772EBD-EB5E-4BF3-B104-CECAB96A63D5.jpeg
BEDA49AD-D8A4-4F9B-A657-8179059542A5.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

D4357511-8428-4E1D-A692-AD0A181FDB61.jpeg
The arrow is the deformity.

The circle shows how this stuff is textured, so sanding can't be done.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Compared to all the other work you have done I can't see this staying long. Your OCD on perfection must be driving you nuts! Put a TRUMP 2024 sticker on there and see how fast you change it! :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne