Scaling cnc plans

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Scaling cnc plans

Post by fallguy1000 »

Hey Reid....is it possible to scale plans for the CNC? So, for example, if you wanted to build the PH22, but make it 10% wider and 10% longer, could you do the cnc work still, or is it a can of worms?

Of course, note here, I did not want to go deeper, so this is scaling in two dimensions, not three...

Also, do the cnc kits include jigs or stations? Can they?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Scaling cnc plans

Post by Matt Gent »

Any of the un-wrapped / developed surfaces won’t scale…particularly the hull bottom and topsides near the bow. You’d have to start with a new 3D model around the scaled frames.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:51 pm Hey Reid....is it possible to scale plans for the CNC? So, for example, if you wanted to build the PH22, but make it 10% wider and 10% longer, could you do the cnc work still, or is it a can of worms?

Of course, note here, I did not want to go deeper, so this is scaling in two dimensions, not three...

Also, do the cnc kits include jigs or stations? Can they?
Fallguy,

Sorry I missed this question. Short answer is no.
Long answer:
If you have an understanding of how we make our CNC files this will probably answer your question. We start with the designer's CAD file in 3D. From there, Crystal "unrolls" the three dimensional drawing of the boat into two dimensional pieces. All of the parts of the boat (hull, frames, stringers, etc.) are then nested to on the appropriate plywood thickness. Once all the pieces have been extrapolated and nested we can then create a tool path or cut file in a program that works with our CNC machine.
So in order to scale a CNC file we would need the designer to first create a new "scaled" version of the boat in question. This is vital to ensure accuracy of the cut files.

Hope this answers your question.
Happy New Year!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks and darn at once.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495